Interior architect - worth it?

illdoit2morrow

I'm sale agreed on a 1960's semi detached house in Dublin 16 (approx. 95 sqm). The house is pretty much in its original condition apart from windows that will need to be replaced. I have also been told that the bathroom is leaking into the hall and porch and will need to be addressed.

My intention is not to extend but to modify the the existing house and get it up to a good BER rating(i.e. new windows, the 'wrap', possibly solar), along with an internal refurbishment. The internal refurbishment can be summarised as follows;
  • Making an existing kitchen and dining room to the rear a single room.
  • New kitchen.
  • Adding a small under stairs bathroom and a new bathroom upstairs.
  • Flooring downstairs.
  • New bathroom upstairs.
Outside of the rejigging work, I'd like to get the property up to a good BER rating, the property will also need to be rewired and the heating system upgraded.
Would this be considered too small a job to engage an interior architect or should i try and find a descent builder who has done similar jobs in the estate would be able to give sound advice?

Do you know or have a recommendation for such a builder? If one has the experience of working on the houses they may be able to advise the best route. You appear to already know exactly what you want.

My intention is not to extend but to modify the the existing house and get it up to a good BER rating(i.e. new windows, the 'wrap', possibly solar),
Not directly answering your question, but ...
Are you looking for a 'good BER rating' or a house which is comfortable, healthy and affordable to heat? These are not necessarily the same thing.
I would also advise to, if at all possible, move in and live in the house as is for all 4 seasons before embarking on any internal remodelling / refurbishment works. Obviously, don't ignore the urgent repair work such as the leaks.

Address the urgent jobs first.
Sort out the leaks.
Check the current heating system is working as it should be with no leaks.
Mainly cosmetic so no need for an architect tbh.

Not directly answering your question, but ...
Are you looking for a 'good BER rating' or a house which is comfortable, healthy and affordable to heat? These are not necessarily the same thing.
I would also advise to, if at all possible, move in and live in the house as is for all 4 seasons before embarking on any internal remodelling / refurbishment works. Obviously, don't ignore the urgent repair work such as the leaks.
Great advice. You'll make much better decisions on layout and priorities for budget when you've spent at least 1 year there. Bang on re the BER too.

Thanks for the feedback. I am quite familiar with the houses myself, I grew up nearby and know a good few people who have moved into the estate.

I plan to pick their brains and see what they have done to their own houses and use this advice when it comes to my own. My original plan was to move back to be closer to my elderly parents who need a bit of assistance, I am currently back with them and can stay there whilst any work is going on.

I get that living in the property would give me a greater appreciation of what is a must do and a would like to do, but I would prefer to get it done and move in. I'm hoping my local knowledge will help with what I should be doing to get the house into shape.

I would pay for an architect to call and give you suggestions, do up plans and if you agree, have him/her supervise the job. It does cost, but I think its worth it!

You don't need an architect for the insulation and associated works.

In relation to changing layout internally etc, worth having a good look online for other similer houses to see what they have done. I've got some great ideas from stalking "myhome" or Daft in the past

The RIAI Simon Open Door event is coming up in April, doesn't look like booking is open for this year at this point, but for a modest donation you get time with an architect to chat through what you want to achieve and have them draw up rough sketches as a starting point. It can be a great way to get some alternative ideas.

You didn't say what your renovation budget is, but often it's when you have a healthy budget that could support reconfiguration that you'll gain more from engaging an architect.

Back