Insurance for young (17 year old) drivers

warrendublin

Hello,

I'm anxious to get my son insured but I received a quote of c 5,000.00 today for him. I was advised that this MIGHT drop to c 3,500.00 when he turns 18 and IF he gets his full permit/licence.

Brielfy this is the situation:

1. He will be 18 in Jan
2. He intends to buy his own car ( he is working to buy one for around 700.00 and fair play to him for his personal drive!!)
3. He is on a learner permit - awaiting his test in Jan 16 (prior to his 18th)
4. He is a named driver since earlier this year on a current policy and has taken 12 driving lessons (via the insurance company) in this respect to this point.
5. He has no insurance record prior to becoming insured at this point.

Can anyone advise on the most cost effective way of him becoming insured at this point?

To me 5,000.00 would buy him 100.00 in taxis every week for a year...!!

Many thanks as ever.

Try boxymo. Some very strict rules regarding the young lad's driving, but very competitive quotes..

Try boxymo. Some very strict rules regarding the young lad's driving, but very competitive quotes..
+1 with boxymo. Unit fitted in car to monitor driving but quote was by far the cheapest I could find for a young learner driver on own insurance.

There was an insurance broker on the Pat Kenny show this morning who recommended Aviva for 17-year olds. Apparently, they do a deal if driving lessons are also purchased from Aviva. Might be worth checking out.

Back