Insurance for Commercial Vehicle

Kilkenny Lass

First time poster but long time lurker! Couldn't find an answer to this anywhere...

I am a sole trader and am considering buying my first commercial vehicle. The insurance company I usually will not insure me unless I transfer my insurance from my private vehicle over and use it to insure the new vehicle. I have rang a couple of other insurance company and none can offer me insurance for the new commercial vehicle unless I have a no claims bonus. I would prefer not to use my private no claims and am happy to start from scratch with the new van but can't find an insurance company that will do it. Does anyone have experience or knowledge that could help me.

Thanks

Try a broker.

Other option is to move car policy to axa and then get them to insure the van.

I'm a bit puzzled. One of the immutable rules in vehicle insurance is that you cannot, ever, use or transfer private motor insurance to a commercial vehicle. What exactly did the broker / insurer say? Do they want you to apply your NCB to the commercial insurance and start the private insurance from scratch?

No not transfer the insurance policy -just the NCB. What I would like to do is get commercial insurance and start with Zero NCB and keep my NCB for my private vehicle but the insurance company want me to do the opposite. In fact, I cannot get one insurance company to give me a quote for commercial vehicle. Hope that's clearer! How does anyone get started with a commercial vehicle if this is the case?

Are you a named driver on another policy? If you are you might be able to use that NCB to get you started on your commercial insurance.

Back