Installing a dog flap on an aluminium door

toni_mrphy

Hi All

Per the above I want to install a dog flap so my little man can have a bit more freedom. Anybody know if this is difficult to do ?
What kind of tradesman could do this - carpenter ?

Thanks
T

Hi Toni,

Hoping not to sound too negative here but I think its a very bad idea because:

1. Not sure if you are aware that lots of dogs are being stolen from back gardens and houses (yes break-ins). They are most likely sold on or used as bait dogs :(

2. Depending on the type of dog flap you can have other animals entering the house.

3. My personal view is that its not a good idea to damage the door itself in this manner.

Thank you for the response Sue Ellen .You have certainly given me food for thought .
I would think my back garden is secure but the thought of someone taking my little pooch and using him for bait is very disturbing .

There are dog-doors / flaps that are unlocked by a device attached to the dog's collar, proximity reader type devices. I concur with Sue Ellen's observations but would add that if you can get the work done (by an aluminium window fitter) then Fido might be able to seek refuge in the house in the event of doggy snatch.

Second the above. You will need someone familiar with the construction of that particular door, otherwise you could end up with someone cutting through the reinforcement leaving you with a door that one kick would break through. Your insurance might have an issue then if there ever were to be a break-in via that means.

Back