Inheritance from biological parent

Hello2015

I am adopted and a number of years ago I made contact with my biological father. We had a private dna test done which confirmed the relationship. He married but had no children. he recently advised that him and his wife were providing for me in their will. He is of the understanding that I will be taxed as a child because of the Dna test but I'm not so sure. The test we did was conducted in private IE not by doctor therefore may not be recognised in court or by revenue. Can anyone clarify if this is the case? Or is there anything we can do to ensure I am taxed as a son or daughter.

I thought that legal adoption removed all rights of inheritance from natural parents side of family and thereby favoured the adoptive parents. I think it came up in the "Heirhunters" tv series whereby even distant relatives of person who died intestate where barred from inheritance if adopted. You could be a beneficiary in anyone's will but will not be able to claim tax exemption allowance based on family link.

Your biological parent can make provision for you as they wish in their will. Adoption out of their family is not a bar, but you should consult a lawyer as to the tax-implications, as you may be treated as having a very low tax-threshold because of the adoption. If your biological parents died intestate, leaving no valid will, you could not inherit as offspring AFAIK.

Back