Rough estimate of value of home:

Renting.

Amount outstanding on your mortgage:

n/a

What interest rate are you paying?

n/a

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc:

None.

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month?

Yes.

If not, what is the balance on your credit card?

n/a

Savings and investments:

75k Prize Bonds
43k Investments (amount I've invested, not the value of my portfolio)

Do you have a pension scheme?

Yes. Company contribute 10% and I have put in variable amounts throughout the years. Currently contribute 5%. Value of the pension is 82k (employee and employer contributions total 58k). Fund is the Zurich Dynamic Prisma.

Do you own any investment or other property?

No.

Ages of children:

None.

Life insurance:

None.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

My salary has increased significantly over the past few years and I'm trying to weigh up increasing my pension conributions vs increasing my savings. Regarding the latter, it's moreso what goes into prize bonds as I see this as my savings pot for any potential future house deposit. Returns are terrible but I can access it quickly if needs be. I was thinking of maybe upping my contributions to around 10% (possibly a little bit more) and wondering if this makes sense considering the above? It still allows me to save towards a deposit each month (I try and save 50% of my take home each month).

Thanks.

Are you planning on purchasing a house?
If so, what price range?
How much would you plan to borrow? And for this amount, how would the repayments compare with your current rent?
I think this is important to factor into your decision.

Are you planning on purchasing a house?
If so, what price range?
How much would you plan to borrow? And for this amount, how would the repayments compare with your current rent?
I think this is important to factor into your decision.
Intend on buying a house, yes. But haven't got any AIP or gone any further than looking around. As for the price range, probably around 500k and borrowing 350k-ish. Repayments would be very close to what we're paying in rent currently, around the 1800 mark.

Focus on buying your home and worry about pension funding once that sorted. But try to get it sorted ASAP.
Easier said than done, unfortunately. What's out there currently doesn't appeal to us so it's difficult to part with a large chuck of change for something that we're not totally happy with.

Easier said than done, unfortunately. What's out there currently doesn't appeal to us so it's difficult to part with a large chuck of change for something that we're not totally happy with.

That’s fine, unless your expectations are too high. There are also trade-offs in life though, and opportunity costs to things.

True, but I don't think our expectations are too high. It's just that what's out there now doesn't seem worth it to us.

Sounds like you need to save a larger chunk of change to be able to buy a house you are happy with. I would definitely be focusing efforts on this, rather than pension contributions right now.

True, but I don't think our expectations are too high. It's just that what's out there now doesn't seem worth it to us.
Waiting for a change in market (either price or availability) until it meets your definition of ‘worth it’ is a very risky strategy which almost never pays off. Especially risky when you’re in your 40s and the amount you can afford to borrow is going to decrease every year.

I'd agree with the others who suggest that you focus on the house. Every year you wait decreases the length of the mortgage that the banks will give you. If you're not ready to purchase now, at least continue saving to increase the potential deposit, rather than locking the money away in a pension fund that you can't access.
This is Ireland, and renting is not a great long term option. Owning your own house outright by the time you reach 65 is one of the best ways to protect your income once retired.

Thanks all. I don't think it's unreasonable to hold off making potentially the largest purchase you will ever make because you're not happy with the house/area/price. I get that waiting restricts the amount we can borrow but to offset this we're also saving in the meantime and increasing the deposit.

Back