Incorrect bin charges.

• Thread starter SlurrySlump
  • Start date
S

SlurrySlump

Got my environmental waste charges today from Dun Laoghaire County Council only to find that I have been charges €26.10 for lift and weight charges. As I don't use my black bin I wonder how these charges have been calculated. A quick check of my bin number and it would appear that the number of my unused bin is different from that on my statement. I would advise you to check your bin number against your statement number or you might end up paying for your neighbours waste.

Well yes, he is saying that...

"I don't use my black bin..."

Clear enough I would have thought.

A friend of mine puts his bin out once a month, but got charged for every week.
Once while out sick he discovered his neighbours had been putting out his bin with thier rubbish!

I never leave out my black bin as I recycle almost everything. Anything else is disposed of privately. I would recommend that black bin users check their bin number against their statement bin number reference. Does anyone know if the weighing scales/apparatus on the bin lorries is checked by any independent authority?

Thanks for reminding me. I got my statement from DL Rathdown yesterday for waste charges and need to query it with them.

From Jan to end March, the black wheelie bin was lifted twice. Total cost €26. (€4 per lift, plus weight charge@ 20c per kilo). I was flabbergasted - could have gone to the dump a couple of times during that period with the neighbours rubbish as well as my own for that price. Incidently, I got a compost bin in February, and now compost everything. The bin weighed 9 kilos more after I got the compost bin. I don't know, seemed like the same volume of rubbish. I wonder if the council is making it up as they go along.

This whole pay by weight thing is a legal minefield, and as soon as someone has the balls to challenge it thru the courts, it will be blown apart. As someone has already mentioned, have the weighing devices been independently approved by relevant metrology body, how secure is the chip technology in the bins, how secure is the chip reading technology on the bin trucks, how accurate are the records that the local authority hold on each bin, can they prove conclusively that they are charging for the bin in your care etc etc.

Despite all this, I've reduced my waste from a full bin every week to one very three weeks, its a solid initiative, just badly administered in my case by the highly incompetent Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Council, who seem incapable of responding to any form of communication on any issue I've ever written/e-mailed or phoned them about. A truly remarkable bunch.

I totally agree- who checks the calibration and how often-its the same for speeding and drink driving...

Perhaps if we all query the weight charge or contact our local minister we might get Dun Laoghaire Rathdown to sit up and take notice. It seems they couldn't give a toss as a previous poster has stated they seem incapable of responding to the simplest of queries.

SlurrySlump said:
Got my environmental waste charges today from Dun Laoghaire County Council only to find that I have been charges €26.10 for lift and weight charges. As I don't use my black bin I wonder how these charges have been calculated. A quick check of my bin number and it would appear that the number of my unused bin is different from that on my statement. I would advise you to check your bin number against your statement number or you might end up paying for your neighbours waste.
Just out of curiousity - why did you register your bin number if you're not going to use the bin service?

Rainyday- I didn't register my bin. I was just given a bin years ago. Nobody asked me if I wanted it, it was left in my driveway. I have never used it nor left it out for collection. Yet I have continued to receive invoices for a service that I have never used? About 3/4 years after charges were introduced, DunLaoghaire Rathdown had a lady accompanying the binmen with a notebook taking notes over a few weeks period. As I had never left out my bin I assumed that she would make note of the fact that I was not using my bin then send me a letter enquiring as to whether I wanted to use their service or not. But nothing.

Phone calls by me to DunLaoghaire Rathdown were utterly useless. One lady insisted that I had to pay for green bin waste yet I have a document stating that there is no charge for green bins.

Every week the binmen can see that I don't leave out my bin. Are they incapable of reporting this back to head office? Yet I still get invoiced!

SlurrySlump said:
Rainyday- I didn't register my bin. I was just given a bin years ago. Nobody asked me if I wanted it, it was left in my driveway. I have never used it nor left it out for collection. Yet I have continued to receive invoices for a service that I have never used? About 3/4 years after charges were introduced, DunLaoghaire Rathdown had a lady accompanying the binmen with a notebook taking notes over a few weeks period. As I had never left out my bin I assumed that she would make note of the fact that I was not using my bin then send me a letter enquiring as to whether I wanted to use their service or not. But nothing.

Phone calls by me to DunLaoghaire Rathdown were utterly useless. One lady insisted that I had to pay for green bin waste yet I have a document stating that there is no charge for green bins.

Every week the binmen can see that I don't leave out my bin. Are they incapable of reporting this back to head office? Yet I still get invoiced!

DLR CoCo went through a process late last year and early this year of registering each unique bin number to a household. I'd guess that either someone else's bin has been linked to your household, or someone else is using your bin.

I'd suggest you register an Official Complaint with DLR CoCo - I've found this effective in the past for getting official attention to matters that seemed to be ignored by the staff on the ground. You may also want to contact your local councillor(s).

Back