In job 2 weeks, want to leave already!!!

LollyMc

In new job 2 wks, not impressed. Boss is picky, cranky - no sense of humour. Checks my PC every night to see what I have been up to. He shouts and screams at other employees, only 5 of us in the office.

Nowhere in the office to have your lunch. No breaks allowed, no personal calls allowed. Money is good but not good enough to stay. He makes me feel so unconfortable.

Interview with another company next week, same job better pay and better conditions.

According to contract, I am obliged to give 4 wks notice as Im monthly paid. Do I have to do this? Also this is a permanent job, how do I explain walking out of ft job? I was made redundant in March and was temping with an agency until 2 wks ago. Should I say this is a temp?

Any advice is appreciated.

If I was you I'd walk out as soon as you have the next job. Pretend the current job never existed and if your future boss asks just say you went travelling for a month or however long!

Yeah but you probabaly won't get paid. Same thing happened to me - in a new job for a week - told them I wanted to leave, I just said wasn't for me. They made me give a weeks notice. I just pretended like the job never existed after I left - said I'd been temping for a while.

Hi LollyMc.
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

I dont think its completely necessary to talk about your current position in new interviews. I think you should extend it under "temping". As long as you are honest about your skills there is no need to go into this bad experience.

I would not however "just walk out" once you get your new job. Tell your new job you need to serve 4 weeks notice to your temping agency.

Double check your contract, 4 weeks notice is normal but is there a trial period (first 6 months) specified in your contract? Quite frequently during this trial period (which you are still in) notice is only 2 weeks. That said when you go to your current boss to resign so soon after starting it is quite likely he/she will let you go immediately given that you are so new.

Good luck
cas

I hink in practical terms if you do walk out, no employer is ever realisitcally going to sue you for breach of contract etc etc.

Thanks for the advice Guys, Cas I have a 6 month Prob period in the job. THe whole thing I find funny cos Im his PA and Im here to make his life easier, instead of which I feel Im being treated like a Junior. I have 7 years PA experience so I know what I am doing! Im a mum too and I dont imagine that he would be very accomodating if my baby was sick either. Would he really not pay me ?

Have interview next Mon for new job - just want to know if asked about notice, should I say 4 wks as suggested??

Thx

what about telling him you object to his behaviour. I worked for a crank, nice as pie at the interview but within a week he showed his true colours, I asked him is this how its going to be from now on? To which he asked me "what did i mean?" I told him the issues I had with his attitude and how I felt it was unhelpful it was in the workplace, he wasnt happy about it but he did make a serious effort to reform his ways, a few years later when I was setting up my own business he became one of my better customers as we had a mutal understanding/respect

I am with Contemporary on this. Speak to your boss. Tell him that you are unhappy and that you are looking around. The feeling might be mutual - it sounds as if he doesn't appreciate you. Depending on how you find the job market, you could give him 4 weeks notice now, if you can rely on something coming up in the next few weeks.

It would be unusual, but not unheard of, for an employer not to pay someone who quit without giving the proper notice.

Brendan

Thanks Guys, still sitting here full of dread and depressed, cant even see the outside from here there are no windows. Felt so withered coming in, cant wait until 5.30. THeres no craic here whatsoever........

Hi LollyMc,

Apart from one or two details in your post, I am in exactly the same position as you, same type of boss, same conditions, cant even see out a window to know if it's night or day. I've also got years of experience but am treated like someone not even at graduate level.

I agree with the posts above about speaking to your boss. I spoke to mine about the shouting, cranky, picky and strange attitude towards the employees. I did this in a structured way, through a couple of chats outside the office, where I had my points written down with specific examples to back them up. I put it to him that I was unhappy with the treatment I was getting and that I was becoming more and more demoralized, I made sure that it just came across as feedback and not an attack on his personality or anything like that because I was worried if it came across as agressive then things would just get much worse. Anyway, eventually he took on board some of the things I said, some others he completely disagreed with. We haven't fallen out over it, and he now wants to try some changes in the office.

Things probably won't change but I thought it was better to bring up these issues rather than beginning to hate the place and leaving in such a negative way. If things don't improve in the next couple of weeks, I will be handing in my notice regardless of whether I have a job or not (my boss knows this). My sanity is more important than a regular wage at this stage.

Best of luck.

The golden rue of feedback is critique the behaviour not the person. I wouldnt do this whilst upset it is impossible to hide.

Remember you're both grown ups if he can't take it might say more about him than you.

All the best

QP

Are new employers funny about Holidays already booked? Could this go against me in an interview? I have 2 wks hols booked since January and I am planning to go the last 2 wks in August. Could this be a disadvantage if I was in an interview?

Thx

I shouldn't think so as long as you tell them about it before hand, tell them its pre-booked and you cant cancel. I did this and most employers are reasonable in this regard!

LollyMc said:
Are new employers funny about Holidays already booked? Could this go against me in an interview? I have 2 wks hols booked since January and I am planning to go the last 2 wks in August. Could this be a disadvantage if I was in an interview?

Thx
I'd wait until you have a firm offer on the table before mentioning this. No point in raising what could possibly be a minor negative point at an early stage.

Back