Importing a new car from Northern Ireland

Do you have to have a certain status to get the VAT taken off up North?

no status - I saw previous post saying cars under 6 months need to pay vat.
so is vat payble on over 6 months too? or will vat on top the VRT calculation in ROS need to be paid when importing?

Hi there... I have a Feb 2008 car held for me in the north, Im paying ex UK vat so the dealer has told me all i need do is pay him the ex UK vat price get an invoice from him take it to the VRO office pay the irish vat (21%) then he can release the car to me ex vat. He needs proof that ive paid the Vat in ireland 1st. Then within 24hrs i'll take it to the VRO office to pay the VRT.

Anyone else done this before sounds fairly simply to me?

I'm holding off till july to pick it up as i save 2500 on VRT by doing so

Hi soulman -- which garage did you use up north as looking to do a very similar purchase. you can PM me if you wish as would be very keen on advice from yourself !

Roadrunner, no VAT payable on imports of cars older than 6 months from anywhere in the EU

When importing goods (I imagine vehicles are seen as goods) from another EU country where VAT has been paid then the VAT payable in the country of import is the difference between that paid and that due. VAT UK is 17.5%, VAT in Ireland is 21% therefore VAT payable on import is 3.5% on the purchase price. 99% sure of this.

picking up a car in northern ireland today.
Saved 3-4k

Viewed it last week and put a deposit down
called currency.ie on Friday, booked the exchange rate and and used their same day payment service, saved 150 euro compared to the bank.

Dealer included an RAC test. Might not be a bad idea getting your dealer to do the same seeing as it probably costs them less than the £200 it would normally cost you. Highlighted that 2 new tyres and wiper blade needed replacing which dealer did on the spot. Otherwise the wife is happy

picking up a car in northern ireland today.
Saved 3-4k

Viewed it last week and put a deposit down
called currency.ie on Friday, booked the exchange rate and and used their same day payment service, saved 150 euro compared to the bank.

Dealer included an RAC test. Might not be a bad idea getting your dealer to do the same seeing as it probably costs them less than the £200 it would normally cost you. Highlighted that 2 new tyres and wiper blade needed replacing which dealer did on the spot. Otherwise the wife is happy

what sterling rate did you get?

Dear All,

Thank you, there is some very helpful information here and I would just like to clarify the following then:

1) As you are exporting the car from the north or the UK you can get an exemption on the VAT in that zone and essentially buy the car VAT Free (-17.5% of the total cost negotiated).

2) Then pay the VRT and VAT in Ireland on importing the car.

3) Is the VRT a percentage of the on the road cost of the car in the South or is it simply a percentage of the net (vat free) cost of the car you have paid in the UK/North?

4) Is the VAT in Ireland levied after the calculation of VRT, i.e. is it based on the cost of the car plus VRT @ 21%, or is the VAT levied only on the purchase price before VRT?

5) I have been checking on the price of an Audi A5 and it seems to be the same in the North as in the UK, in general is this considered the case as I thought the North was more expensive. Woudl seem a lot easier to get one from the North!

Apologies if these have been answered before on other threads.

BR

Dear All,

Thank you, there is some very helpful information here and I would just like to clarify the following then:

1) As you are exporting the car from the north or the UK you can get an exemption on the VAT in that zone and essentially buy the car VAT Free (-17.5% of the total cost negotiated).

I would seriously doubt if this is possible. ROI tax rules forbid the reclaim of VAT incurred on cars. Check with Revenue and/or your professional advisor before acting on the above information.

Soulman I am looking at purchasing a new car in NI in the the new year. Can you let me know or anyone else on the forum have experienced if the dealers in the North would be happy to trade in a Irish registered car thats 2 year old? Thanks

Has anyone had any problems getting their NI/UK purchased car serviced under warrently in Republic? Spoke to an Irish Main dealer who said that they will not touch a car purchased in NI/UK,
i bought a car from dreamcars.ie and after 2 months the sunroof packed in i brought it back to dreamcars as they told me that it was a pan european with the car so they took it to a local main dealer and got it sorted under warranty i had to get the sunroof replaced no issues and i even got a replacement car so no issues with import dont know if its the same with all brands though

Has anyone had any problems getting their NI/UK purchased car serviced under warrently in Republic? Spoke to an Irish Main dealer who said that they will not touch a car purchased in NI/UK,

The warranty on all UK cars should by European Law be honoured here in Ireland. Warranties are a European thing and not just based in the country the car was purchased in. Albeit Irish dealers will only give you a 2 yr warranty, but UK give 3 years.
I contacted Audi Ireland regarding warranties and they said an Irish dealer would honour my warranty for 2 years regardless if i bought the car in UK or Ireland

Hi Guys

I'm in the process of importing a new motorbike from NI.
I called HM Customs and they told me to download and fill in Form 411 get it signed by the dealer and I wouldn't be liable for UK VAT but will pay VAT in the republic. This form is valid for cars also.

Here is the link...

[broken link removed]

I have investigated the process for buying a new unregistered vehicle from Northern Ireland and importing it to the ROI.

Soulman, I had went to Donnelly and Taggart, Mitisubishi dealer and he said that he cannot sell me a car unregistered. He has to registered it and put on N.I plates or it wont go on his books.

Can you please clarify what you mean by unregistered?

You have to pay VAT at 21% in ROI irrespective of whether you paid VAT elsewhere (if the vehicle is less than 6 months old). However the way that it worked for me was that I signed a VAT exemption form at the dealer in NI so I did not have to pay the 17.5% .

so you signed a VAT exempt form in N.I dealer, What is your status that you could do this?

All you need to do is download the declaration form that states you intend to remove the vehicle from the UK within 2 months and that you intend to pay VAT in the destination country. Once both the purchaser and the dealer have signed the form you may purchase the vehicle free of UK VAT

Hi Folks,
I have a friend who is a disabled driver and is exempt from paying VRT or Vat in the Republic.Are there any pitfalls to buying up North,and will they have any difficulty getting service in the south because its an import.Any good information is welcome, as they have never done this before.TIA John

Back