Importing a Car from UK

A genuine change of residence is one of the few cases where VRT is exempt. However, you need to tread very carefully, as there is a limited time a UK resident can use a car here, and it is definitely not OK for an Irish resident to use a UK registered car. I can't see anything wrong with what you suggest if there is a definite plan to move back over a period of a few months, but if it's just a vague plan to move back at some future time, he would probably run foul of the requirement to import the car after a certain period.

Is there a rule of thumb calculation for VRT if I was to go car hunting in the UK.
Also if we pay VRT on a 2nd hand car in Ireland surely we should be able to claim it back from the UK tax office as this would have been paid when the car was new.

Thanks for reply /what does he have do to import it and get it registered over here and what cost

Take a look at the Revenue Transfer of Residence leaflet. Basically, to qualify, he must have lived abroad for more than 12 months (studying abroad does not count) and be able to prove this (rent records, utility bills). The car he is importing must have been in his possession, in that country for a period of at least 6 months. Again, documentation will be required to prove this, cert of sale, insurance, maintenance, etc..

If he qualifies under all criteria, then no VRT will be payable.

Is there a rule of thumb calculation for VRT if I was to go car hunting in the UK.

All detailed in a number of other threads, the amount payable is a percentage of the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) as determined by Revenue. The only reliable way is to use the VRT online calculator.

Also if we pay VRT on a 2nd hand car in Ireland surely we should be able to claim it back from the UK tax office as this would have been paid when the car was new.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

I am looking at importing a specific 2009/2010 Porsche from England, but before buying I need to have some rough idea as to what the VRT liability will be. Otherwise turning up at a VRO in Ireland opens up an unlimited liability to a capricious VRT assessment. There are strangely no Porsche models at all in the Revenue's online VRT estimator.

I emailed the Revenue's VRT section and got a lengthy but utterly uninformative reply, referring me to the Revenue's VRT manual. An appendix to that manual refers to calculation of VRT for types not sold in RoI. This relies on the ratio of the UK price of comparable models, given by Glass's Guide, to the Irish price given by either the "Car Sales Guide" or Revenue OMSP. This ratio is to be multiplied by the UK value of the model in question per Glass's Guide.

But Glass's Guide does not include any Porsche models. And I understand the Car Sales Guide is a trade-only publication.

Has anyone here been down this road?

Guys Question, has anyone recently imported a BMW 320d M Sport and if so what VRT did you pay? Many Thanks in advance

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has imported a new or nearly new car from the UK recently and just how much hassle is involved. I understand that in addition to vehicle registration tax vat is also payable but the UK garage tells me they will refund the vat to me as I will have already paid this if I buy a new car ? I understand bat wont apply if the car is 6 months old or has 6000 km on clock. Just wondering if anyone has actually gotten the vat back promptly from the UK garage. I understand that the national car testing centres are now doing the vrt assessments. What are they like to deal with ? Does the amount differ much from that given on the revenue online vrt calculator ? I don't want any surprises. Also is it possible to register the car in Dublin and get a d reg if you live in another county ?? Many thanks.

Unless things have changed radically, which seems unlikely, there is no benefit to someone importing a new or nearly new (i.e. less than 6 months old) car: the VRT regime is constructed to make sure this is the case. The VAT question therefore doesn't arise.

Or maybe someone has a different experience?

I have been surprised at the possible savings on nearly new cars. I hadn't considered new until I spoke to a UK garage today and the salesman told me its not infrequent that they sell to rep of Ireland customers. Hence the vat query although I'm waiting on the prices of new cars to compare. From what I've seen on second hand websites and using vrt calculator there are savings to be made albeit with the hassle of travelling and going to vrt office etc. any experiences ?

I have been surprised at the possible savings on nearly new cars. I hadn't considered new until I spoke to a UK garage today and the salesman told me its not infrequent that they sell to rep of Ireland customers. Hence the vat query although I'm waiting on the prices of new cars to compare. From what I've seen on second hand websites and using vrt calculator there are savings to be made albeit with the hassle of travelling and going to vrt office etc. any experiences ?

If you import a car less than 6 months old, or with less than 6,000km, then you must pay Irish VAT (23% Vs 20% in the UK) as well as VRT (VAT is payable even if you have paid VAT in the source country). I presume you've factored that into the calculations?

I posted elsewhere as well but just to say the VRT calculator is no longer fit for purpose, it has not been updated in ages and according to the revenue it never will be. The model I was looking at was the new fiesta titanium with the 3 cylinder ecoboost 100ps engine and not a trace.

NOAH, I'm not sure about that the VRT calculator 'oges' down regularly for updates and new vehicles have appeared over the years eg insignia series. Dont get me wrong the calculator is intentionally meant to confuse and confound - means they can make changes and no one notices!

Back