Impact noise

3rivers

This has probably been covered before but I can't seem to find any definitive answers..
We live in a timber frame semi detached built in 2007. My neighbours staircase is directly behind our fireplace. So apart from hearing shower and washing machine etc that comes with living in a timber frame house what is really driving us crazy is every time their teenage kid's go up and down the stairs our whole house seems to shake. It's gone so bad that we can't hang anything up over our fireplace or in the alcoves.
So I'm wondering does anyone know of any solution to this. Any websites I looked up seem to only to fix noise reduction eg for the shower tv etc,which would be helpful but what we really need is to solve the impact noise eg the walls vibrating from the stairs.
We are in negative equity so there is no hope of moving out any time soon.
Any advice greatly appreciated

Hi,

If you run the search option on AAM or Google you should find some info on noise insulation. This key post may have something to offer. Hope you get it sorted as this type of problem can be very annoying and frustrating.

I'm afraid the only real way to do that is to strip the structure back to the frame and reinforce that. Not a cheap option I'd imagine.

I'm afraid the only real way to do that is to strip the structure back to the frame and reinforce that. Not a cheap option I'd imagine.
. I'm sure your right it would definitely cost a lot to do that. I'm afraid it seems we will just have to put up with it. Hopefully someday we'll be able to sell and move out or else we will have to wait for the kids to grow up and move out themselves :(:mad:

Back