Idea for Cafe Wine Bar

lola1979

Hi All

I have just opened a cafe wine bar and am thinking about going down the tapas route in the evenings. I'd also like to have art exhibitions, outside catering, poetry evenings etc. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me ideas on this or have any advice to give a new startup!

Regards,
LOLA

hi lola

since you have a wine bar, you are kind of resticted, but if you are based in a city your market is quite varied.

an area you can look into is making your own house wine, catering for opening funtions for different businesses.

putting yourself across to the right market is essentially important.

funny

Congrats on your new venture1
I don't mean to be smart,but have you done any research re the above before you opened for business?

Hi Johnnyboy

yes I did do som research but wanted to focus on the actual day trade before I expanded into night time - just looking for ideas and advice really.

Lola

there is a tapas bar that has opened a while back in Killorglin in kerry and it has been very popular it mixes the wine bar idea and tapas bar quite well they also do musical evenings like spanish guitar and others like that . They have cover charge for the music and you get a reduced rate if you take a table earlier and have food and wine. If this can work in a small town it should go ok in a bigger place. You could also do themed evenings an itailin night spanish night south american etc

Hello Lola
I hope you're opening in Cork because it sounds great!What kind of music would you consider.A musician playing background music would be great.Also how big would your venue be?

Hi and congrads on the new enterprise!

Why not tie in with various wine appreciation courses that are being run. Some good music for your place might include The Life Persuit by Belle and Sebastian - very hip

Firefly.

for marketing ideas,
you just really have to get out there, put your business out there, make sure its known
also find out what your local customers want, what they would find interesting. then in terms of passing trade: a traditional local community goes down well! visiters wont be impressed if your regulars aren't.
dont do poetry readings if it won't be a big hit!
do charity events, an exibite on wine from around the world, not many irish i know can tell the diff between wine other than if its red or white.
with the fine weather, use the most of outdoor places as you can.
the longer you think about it the more you will achive your goal and get to the standard you wish to achive

Important to get the Tapas right, you need small and inexpensive dishes that are very quick and easy to make, you should encourage people to get used to ordering lots of small dishes (deals for orders of 10 or 20 mixed dishes) All the Tapas bars i have been to in Ireland are 2 expensive per dish and take way to long to make it enjoyable. Have you been to good Tapas bars in Spain? - If not take a trip over for the weekend and do lots of tapa places, steal the menu's idea and serving methods from the pros

I'm sorry to be pedantic, but there are just so many misused apostrophes in the last post I have to comment.

It's "tapas", not "tapa's".

Similarly, it's "ideas", not "idea's".

Also, it's "pros", not "pro's".

I agree that tapas are too expensive in Ireland.

On the pedantic tangent that we're heading off on, you could probably get away with "pro's", as "pro" is already abbreviated??

I don't think so, as "pros" is short for "professionals", which does not have an apostrophe either.

Biggest obstacle to providing food in bars is health board regulations, including need for dedicated kitchens/preparation area etc

Music for the cafe

Hi all

Me again... this time looking for advice on easy listening music to play in the cafe during the day and at night?

Ta
LOLA

Hi Lola,

Here are some ideas for you on how you could go about marketing your wine bar:

1. Regular events like you mention are a good idea but to get the most out of them you need a way of capturing details of customers that visit you so you can get in touch easily with them to let them know about future events. I would suggest that you start building a list of customers who want to be notified about these kind of events. The easiest way would be to capture the mobile phone number of all those interested and that way you could send out a text message with special offers or to notify them of special events. This needs to be managed properly so you don't fall foul of the data protection commissioner.

2. Set up some joint ventures with other local businesses that are non competing but which have the same target market. For example you might do a deal with a local bookshop to have them hand out vouchers for a free tapas to all people spending over a certain amount. This will help drive new business to your store and be something of value the bookstore could give to their clients - a win win situation for both of you.

3. Consider doing a deal with a local charity to help them with fundraising, perhaps you could let them use your venue for free to host a charity quiz night, where the entrance fee for the quiz goes to charity, you benefit by selling drinks. The charity would use its contacts to promote the night.

PM me if you'd like help implementing any of these ideas

Matt

Small Business Marketing in Ireland

About Music.....what does your own taste run to ? How big is the premises ? How many covers can you have at busy times ?

There is a wine bar in Galway (can't remember the name - near Spanish Arch) which serves tapas. The night I was there they had live jazz. We had a great night there - might be worth a visit for some ideas.

PS: don't drink the water ;)

Back