IBEC predicts each household will spend in excess of an additional €1000.00 this year - Are we stupid?

Leper

Just listening to RTE News where IBEC has predicted each household will spend more than €1000 extra this Christmas. This claim is despite rising prices, recent riots in Dublin and everything else that is happening. Are we stupid or whaaa?

They're predicting that the spend will be 5% higher this year than last year over December... so it just means the spend is keeping pace with inflation by and large.

So much shopping done online or in out of town shopping centres, I don't think the riots will impact overall spend, just where it is spent perhaps.

Does that extra spend include spend in hospitality I wonder, or just retail.

Retail Ireland, the Ibec group representing the sector, is expecting that on average each household in Ireland will spend €1,019 more during December compared to other months of the year. That represents an increase of 5% on what it anticipated the spend would be this time last year, bringing the total additional outlay by households during December to €1.1 billion more than in other months in 2023.

It's probably a true statement when you factor in the nights out, the travelling costs to the in-laws/own family down the country (obviously you can't turn up empty handed), Christmas cards and postage, presents etc. All of that before you consider food and drink. Santa is not cheap these days

Just listening to RTE News where IBEC has predicted each household will spend more than €1000 extra this Christmas. This claim is despite rising prices, recent riots in Dublin and everything else that is happening. Are we stupid or whaaa?
It's €1000 more than in other months, not €1000 more than this time last year.
Most people are doing fine and aren't "suffering" due to the increases in the cost of living, the latest fake crisis to hit us. Most people still have plenty of money.
More than a third of households don't pay a mortgage or rent. They are unaffected by interest rate rises. Plenty of the third that do have a mortgage have small ones. Most of those households can splash out this Christmas. Those with large mortgages or who rent in the private sector are suffering, as are the minority of pensioners who live off the State pension, as are the minority of those on welfare who don't have other income.

Last edited:
It's probably a true statement when you factor in the nights out, the travelling costs to the in-laws/own family down the country (obviously you can't turn up empty handed), Christmas cards and postage, presents etc. All of that before you consider food and drink. Santa is not cheap these days
I don't send Christmas card. I haven't done for years. It's for environmental reasons, not because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered.

A lot of people will spend big at Christmas alright but some of those same people will be broke in the New Year ......it's like a vicious circle.
People just spend for' today 'and worry about ' tomorrow ' when it comes...

A lot of people will spend big at Christmas alright but some of those same people will be broke in the New Year ......it's like a vicious circle.
People just spend for' today 'and worry about ' tomorrow ' when it comes...
Then there are the dedicated bargain hunters, who can afford to stock up on the seasonal drinks offers now and don't spend a cent on drink until Paddys Day...
I see similar with restaurants and Ticketmaster running offers like 10% or 20% on top of vouchers bought now if used in 2024.

Back