I have taken out a second income protection policy by mistake

Discussion in 'Payment Protection Insurance claims' started by Hazel12, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Hazel12

Hazel12 New Member

I've just realised that I've been paying 2 income protection plans , for about 7 years. The second plan I took out was on a group scheme recommended and organised by a broker. As the first plan was with the same company , I assumed that the second replaced the first. I have been paying a direct debit of 70 euro monthly for 7 years that should have been cancelled. I was unaware that the new scheme was being taken direct from my salary. I feel so stupid not to have realised this and am not sure if I could claim any refund?

2. Rebuttal

Rebuttal Registered User

Are the two plans with the one company ?

3. Hazel12

Hazel12 New Member

They were both with Irish life for the first 5 years and I believe that the 2nd one was taken over by another insurance firm 2 years ago. The second policy was set up on a group Union scheme .
    Thanks

4. Rebuttal

Rebuttal Registered User

Phone each life assurance company and ask them will they pay out on their policy when you have more than one income protection policy. It each of the policies do pay out regardless of the existence of the other policy, then I am afraid there is not much you can do except cancel one of them. If they do not pay out, but instead spread the claim liability between themselves, then you may be able to recoup some of the monies paid into the policies.

5. Rebuttal

Rebuttal Registered User

6. Hazel12

Hazel12 New Member

Thank you very much , that's a very interesting point. I'll check that out further. I cancelled one of them yesterday.