How to manage Poor Preformance in a new employee?

Unregistered said:
There is no legal obligation to attach a probationary period to an offer of employment.
I wasn't referring to legal obligations. I was referring to corporate HR policies which would typically have mandatory probationary periods.

You can't expect to take a fish out of one pond and expect it to function in a same way, in a different pond.

There would appear to be a conflict or difference of expectations. As much as you don't like it (although this employee would appear to have made certain things clear), maybe you will have to change your ways to suit this employee. But then, if that's not how you operate, it would be time to part ways. You can probably bet that if they're unhappy, they're already looking for a new job.

So you've to ask yourself how much you want to hang on to this person. If you're willing to listen to their ideas and expectations with a view to fulfilling some or all of them then do it. Otherwise, be prepared to lose this person or, at least, don't depend on them being around for too long. Both ClubMan and Janet suggest that maybe the problem isn't with the employee but with how you run things. Think about it. This employee was highly regard. This would have come about because of the environment they worked in. If you expect that kind of performance from them then prepare to replicate that environment.

At the same time, if making them happy results in you losing what you have, you've got to weigh it all up.

This type of scenario is quite common,as the previous poster stated different fish into different ponds.

Is it that the company you work for are very rigid, inflexible and/or narrow minded or is it the new employee who is in this way?
I once worked for a company who told me that i could never reach my targets and that i was too "cosmopolitan" with my thinking. This had been decided after one year of employment and rested with the fact that A :I would not Kiss butt and B: Work overtime for free and C: Get involved with other memebers of staff socially.
They ended up paying me 6 months salary as a redundancy even though i was only there for just up to one year, otherwsie i was taking an action for unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal and bad faith.
I ended up going elsehwere and making a real success without changing my personality or style. There is two sides here to this story so unless we really knew the backgrounds , we could not make a really informed comment

Back