How to increase AIB credit card limit

hakouna

Two years ago I made a request at AIB branch to increase my credit card limit , my request was rejected for no clear reason , although I have been with AIB for 20+ years , and my salary and mortgage with them . I didn't accept it and went all the way to branch manager who got me 2K limit increase only after 2 months of going back and forth . Now I need to increase the limit again with at least 5K instead of paying 'over limit fees' every month , I am looking for your advise/tips on how to make it straight forward as it doesn't look to me that there is a clear criteria to accept or reject such a request.
Note: the Credit card is paid fully every month since the start 20+ years ago , my partner has a supplement Card so the card is being used by both of us for ease of budgeting . Combined salary can well cover the Credit card limit .
TIA

instead of paying 'over limit fees' every month
if you've been hit with over limit fees, it will impact your ability to get an increase. It's seen as a red flag that you can't manage your finances.

Just apply online for an increase. If they refuse, you're free to apply to any other credit card provider. You can't force them to increase your limit.

Note: the Credit card is paid fully every month since the start 20+ years ago , my partner has a supplement Card so the card is being used by both of us for ease of budgeting .
Doesn't sound like a very prudent budgeting strategy.
Now I need to increase the limit again with at least 5K instead of paying 'over limit fees' every month

In you AIB app, there is a section to request for increase. You should note if you ask for a big increase suddenly, they won't give it to you, you can request for increase every 6 months, but in smaller increment (no hard and fast rule but I've been using 750 to 1K every time I request).

I've been doing that for a few years, for the "just in case" situation when I need it.

In you AIB app, there is a section to request for increase. You should note if you ask for a big increase suddenly, they won't give it to you, you can request for increase every 6 months, but in smaller increment (no hard and fast rule but I've been using 750 to 1K every time I request).

I've been doing that for a few years, for the "just in case" situation when I need it.
I tried to increase the limit on the app , I got this message : "It is not possible to provide you with an increased limit at present"

I put every expense, from the smallest to the largest through my credit card and paid it all off in full the following month. Have been doing this for 30 years and it works well for me. When I moved from Ulster to AIB a couple of years ago they stuck me with a low credit card limit. I spoke to them (phone banking and branch) and it was a simple brainless response of “computer says no”. Spoke to a friend who advised that I could apply online for a 10% increase every six months and that this should be granted automatically up to €15,000. Have been doing this and will shortly reach that limit, which is what I want to match my old UB limit.

Looking at the AIB website they do say “In order to apply for a limit increase on your AIB Credit Card, we need to have your confirmed PPSN number on file. If we don't have your PPSN, you need to upload a form of documentation showing your PPSN and full name. (Go to Services & Settings and select Verify PPSN)” so it might be worth checking this.

https://aib.ie/help-centre/manage-cards/increase-aib-credit-card-limit

You could also try talking to AIB about it, although in my experience talking to AIB rarely achieves anything other than increased blood pressure.

It might also be worth checking your CCR record to see if it is in any way impaired, as this could impact a request for an increase.

https://www.myrequest.centralcreditregister.ie/

Note: the Credit card is paid fully every month since the start 20+ years ago....Combined salary can well cover the Credit card limit .
If you have the funds, I'm wondering why you don't just use a debit card? You never have to worry about repayments then..

I opened a platinum card a few months ago and got the 15K limit without specifying any I wanted, just asked for platinum card. I have no debt but also keep little money in my accounts as I move it elsewhere. Was quite surprised by the ease of getting that as I just applied on the app and that took 2 mins.

I opened a platinum card a few months ago and got the 15K limit without specifying any I wanted, just asked for platinum card. I have no debt but also keep little money in my accounts as I move it elsewhere. Was quite surprised by the ease of getting that as I just applied on the app and that took 2 mins.
yes i have one of those with a much higher limit, id imagine its easier get a higher limit on a platinum card and the min criteria arent high

Back