how to handle mortage arrears..best course of action?

boudicca

Hi,

Im attending a solicitor tomorrow but just want to see what others say first who might have some knowledge.

Im in an awful situation with the mortgage. 250k mortgage not being paid since october last year. Lack of payment related to the awful relationship Im in with joint owner. we have one child. He is leaving it totally up to me to handle the mortgage and all bills as he is extremely lazy and drinks all his money anyway, contributing nothing at this point. We are not together, emotional abuse etc going on and Im at my wits end what to do. In my little mind the best thing is to have the bank repossess the house. He's at home minding child full time which im not happy about as he is semi alcoholic or functioning if you like.. Im a full time student trying to get a career to help get away from this life hoping college will help with the childcare (strong possibility). I actually have no time due to the intensity of nursing degree and the care of child when i get home to be organizing anything with the mortgage but i have a day tomorrow.

The situation is escalating in that now the only time he picks a fight is when the child is there rather than when shes in bed and it is affecting her badly shes a wreck as am i.

He refuses to leave the house on any terms hence my indecision on what to do about the mortgage. Its his house as far as he is concerned and I would happily take my child and go except I have no entitlement to housing as I have an interest in a mortgaged house.

Has anyone any advice? I can't afford to pay and he prob would give me something for it if it meant him staying there but it would mean that the child and i remain trapped there as i would continue to be implicated in the mortgage..

What would the best option be in terms of repossession? could we get a write down on the owed amount due to negative equity before bank trys to sell?

Hope this makes sense....

Back