How to get rid of rats in garden

Setanta12

We are in an estate and we've noticed we may have a rat problem - two were seen in our garden in a week.

Our neighbours, each side of us have extensive decking while we've none - but we did have a hole running from our side into a neighbours property. We have seen a hedgehog in our garden close to that hole and assumed it was his. We're not so sure now.

How to rid ourselves of this problem, especially when they come from neighbours. I wouldn't like to go down the road of traps, or poison - someone said planting peppermint works?

I rang the council before and they came out and set traps . Came back a week later and checked them, then a week after that again. The are w lot of children in the area so maybe that is why they came out. Worth a phone call!

A short length of pipe with some Storm or other poison will do the trick. Put a brick each side so that it doesn't roll. Rats are not solitary animals - far from it. If you see one, then there are many. If you're nervous, call Retokill or other professionals.

Clean and tidy gardens are far less likely to be rat infested. I really doubt if planting pepper would get rid of rats. Yes, you can get a cat.

I'd agree with bbromberg. See here also.

Eliminate food sources and potential nesting sites.

Clean and tidy gardens are far less likely to be rat infested. I really doubt if planting pepper would get rid of rats. Yes, you can get a cat.

that's a bit of a general statement I'd say. I've been in "clean and tidy" gardens - the tidy look mainly coming from a lot of decking- where exactly that decking was a nice home for those little critters.

Back