Laya How to get a 10% discount on your Laya policy

Brendan Burgess

Founder
My Flex 500 Explore policy is due for renewal and the subscription is €661.50

I checked online and the same policy is €595.35 - a discount of 10% for buying online.

Although I took out my policy last year online, I don't qualify for it if I renew automatically.

However, if I take out a new policy online and cancel the old policy from the renewal date, I get the discount.

I checked with Laya and they told me that there was no downside to doing this, other than the hassle.

Brendan

Thanks for posting! Great advice, think I'll do the same! That 70 odd Euro can be spent on much nicer things this time of year!

Just a quick word of warning on this, make sure to contact Laya and have them confirm that waiting periods won't be applied.

Strictly, under the legislation they could make you re-serve the new customer waiting periods.

Just a quick word of warning on this, make sure to contact Laya and have them confirm that waiting periods won't be applied.

Strictly, under the legislation they could make you re-serve the new customer waiting periods.

I asked this question when speaking to a Laya customer service rep because I argued that everything was the same except the price. They confirmed that for me it was not a new policy. The details were exactly the same. It was just a technical issue.

At last, I had problems posting yesterday.

1......10% is not available on all policies online........you need to check carefully, don't assume.

2. If you have an existing policy up for renewal and then take out another policy ONLINE then you need to inform LAYA asap so they can link this new policy to the old policy thereby keeping your continuity. You are letting the old policy stop and signing up for a new policy (new membership number)

Hi Mexicola.

How come?

Is it not the same as switching from VHI to Laya?

Brendan

No it's not, the legislation wording re waiting periods notes switching insurers not cancelling and starting a new plan with the same insurer. Vhi have had plenty of Ombudsman decisions in their favour due to this.

Thanks Mexicola

Could you be a bit more specific and quote the legislation? Or even give a reference to it.

And maybe an example, if not a reference, to the FSO decision.

Brendan

I'm also with Laya and have recently received my renewal notification. When I read this post initially I was all prepared to take advantage of the 10% discount. However there are mixed messages as to whether his would effect the continuity of the cover which has led to me delaying the renewal process. Has anybody actually clarified the position with Laya?

Thanks Mexicola

Could you be a bit more specific and quote the legislation? Or even give a reference to it.

And maybe an example, if not a reference, to the FSO decision.

Brendan

"(5) Where a health insurance contract effected by a person with a registered undertaking ceases to be in force for any reason and the person effects such a contract with another registered undertaking within such period after such cesser as may be prescribed..."

Is there any update on this? I availed of the on line discount with Laya last year (same plan but with new membership number). Are there implications for waiting periods etc?

Back