Key Post How to cut your day to day expenditure

I only withdraw cash at my bank's atm machines - no charges applied. Also, when I am abroad I pay by credit card but never withdraw from atm's as they charge you extra money for withdrawals.

In ireland no charges no matter what machine you use
Also no charges within eurozone - at least in my experience

In ireland no charges no matter what machine you use
Also no charges within eurozone - at least in my experience

Probably depends where you travel / what type of credit card you use, I was charged for withdrawal abroad.

Yeah some CC providers charge cash advance fee (i.e. ATM withdrawl) even if your CC is in credit (preloaded) e.g. AIB Click

Heres my tuppence worth:

Mobile Phone Savings: Everyone I know is on my network, so ive limited myself to €20 per month which gives me free texts and calls to everyone on the same betwork, i use my free webtexts to everyone not on my network as much as is possible...lately ive even had 6 or 7 euro left at the end of the month!! This is great coming from someone who used to top up 40 quid a week!!

Electric: Visit the esb and bord gais websites and look at their energy saving guidelines, you may not be able to cut down on every single item but you will be amazed at what will stick in your head...like only turning on the dishwasher/washing machine when its full. Not boiling the kettle 5 or 6 times before actually making that cup of tea!!!

Home/Life/Car and Health Insurance: Ive cut my house insurance from 630 to 251 this year by just making a few phone calls!! I had a very small claim and was heavily penalised for this!! So i decided to shop around and saved a fortune. I was every so slightly over insured but got advice on this and im well covered still. And dont be afraid to ring back your current provider to see if they will beat your new quote, or match it at least! Try to pay these amounts in full every year if you can, your monthly cashflow wont be taken up with direct debits and it wont cost you as much. Then start a new direct debit to a seperate account...a certain amount every month...for when these charges come up next year you should have all or some of it! I know its not always possible but if you can at all it makes a hige difference! If your partner has a car, some companies give a discount for both of u using the same company. KEEP SHOPPING AROUND!! Even throughout the year, i check prices to see what the deals are, its good to know these things before you part with your hard earned cash.

Shopping: Check the major store websites for the best deals the night before you go shopping, get the bargains while theyre there to be had!! Nothing wrong with ALDI and LIDL, some of their stuff is better than some branded items. Lidl is quite good for cleaning materials. ALWAYS meal plan, at least give yourself a general of what meals youll be cooking during the week and if you need anything to make it a meal, add it to your list. Always check whats in your store cupboard/freezer before u go shopping...so many times ive had 5 or 6 packets of mince and no bloody lasagne sheets lol.

Honestly, I think this recession gave us all a good kick up the jacksie! I, for one, will never again pay over the odds for any product or service I purchase. I will know exactly what Im getting for my money and Ill be making sure i cant get it cheaper anywhere else!! I will not be squandering, no matter how much im earning or how much I can afford!!

We have a machine that gives you an instant cup of hot water - saves boiling the kettle each time, when you would generally boil more than a cupfull.

And second the library suggestion.
Also, we always do a meal plan before going to the shops. I'd check out the Aldi super six offers and see if I can cook something to take advantage of the deal.

We have a machine that gives you an instant cup of hot water - saves boiling the kettle each time, when you would generally boil more than a cupfull.
How does the machine work? The ones that I've seen keep a couple of litres of water constantly at boiling temperature, which is hardly likely to keep your bills down.

give up deodrant spray and switch to the roll on. lasts a few months apposed to 2 weeks. i promise you'll smell just as good as you did before but will have a bit more buckaroos in your pocket.

When you go out for dinner, just get a main course each and desert between with glass of wine each instead of a bottle, then come home and opne one at home.. I sswear that is more then enough food!!! Bill will be so much cheaper too.

I also changed to metoer for my mobile phone bill. I was spending 250 + on O2... phone addict... its my social life lol... but now I am on the plan were its 85 max a mth its deadly!!!

Plug it out.
Take out card.
Plug it back in.
Turn on telly as normal.

If I was single I could live very cheap. My wife smokes 40 fags/day which is = €5,840 every year. If they were €20/box she still wouldn't give them up. She insists on having sky (sky to me is paying for programs that are repeated over and over). Aldi and lidl only sell unhealthy food according to her. She doesn't drive which means lots of double trips for me. Shopping is a daily routine. She buys the sun paper and sunday world (they aren't worthy of being called news papers). If I mention drawing up a cash flow budget she says that you would be better off dead if you had to do that.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time!

I also hear everyone re the meal planning. When I first moved in with my boyf, he was obsessed with meal planning (he put it down to being in boarding school for so many years), now I have gotten into the habit of it and its fine...the only thing I miss sometimes is the spontanaeity of deciding what to eat as its already been decided for you 4 or 5 days ago..we contribute €60 each to our kitty, and that covers all of our food and all of bills...in winter might have to put in a bit more for esb but generally works a treat...I bring my lunch to work too, but try and have one day a week where I meet a friend or go for a sandwich (not too expensive), just as a treat...I used to go out all the time for lunch and can't believe I was spending so much money on bloody sandwiches! I have my vices like magazines and wine, but usually restrict myself to one (cheapest celeb mag) a week and go for the €6.00 bottle of plonk at the weekends..still passable believe it or believe it not!

give up deodrant spray and switch to the roll on. lasts a few months apposed to 2 weeks. i promise you'll smell just as good as you did before but will have a bit more buckaroos in your pocket.
I've always use roll-ons bought on special offer (or sticks for travelling due to liquid issues), also I use (unscented) soap and a sponge, not shower gels. Lasts forever...

e-cloths for most cleaning, otherwise Aldi stuff.
Make huge spag bols, ends up costing about 1.50 for a family dinner's worth of sauce!
Make soup of any dodgy looking vegetables. smoothies with soft fruit.
We only eat Weetabix/ready brek/porridge (non-branded) and they last much longer than the cornflakes etc...and are cheaper.
freeze bread, then take out slices as you need it.
Home made pizzas are brilliant, cheap and fun, either yeast or scone based.
I cycle to work
Make sure you get free banking

If you have not cut back on broadband, then you dont need to pay for phone rental . You can keep your landline phone number and transfer it here for a once off cost of 199 euro. You dont have to pay anything and can still receive calls. This phone plugs into your broadband and uses your internet connection. I'm considering using it with NTL broadband which I have not cut back on even though I get my TV channels from a freesat dish and dont pay for TV from them.

http://www.blueface.ie/

Free Calls for Life

Unbeatable offer: No more bills!

One Siemens Cordless phone

Unlimited Irish local and national calls for life

One Geographic Number

No more phone bills ... Ever

I have my vices like magazines and wine, but usually restrict myself to one (cheapest celeb mag) a week

A totally frivilous but handy tip on this - the dailymail website is choc full of the latest celeb gossip as soon as it happens - the mags are a week out of date by the time they are printed. :)

Back