How much does your rubbish collection cost?

Re: ..

Which is why 'recycle' comes after 'reduce' & 're-use' in the priorities list.

I appreciate that, rainyday, and the logic of weigh-and-pay/'the-polluter-pays' is ineluctable.

What bugs me about the pricing structure - 'round our way, at least - is that those who reduce and re-use (which I do, as far as possible) are offered no real incentive in terms of their annual costs. If my refuse bin looks/feels to be underweight, I'd actually save money by topping it up with some of the light-but-bulky recyclable materials that fill up my weekly recyclable bag - thereby occasionally making one bag stretch to two weeks' worth.

Also, imho, it definitely contributes to illegal dumping/burning of refuse. If that were policed properly, and fines imposed, there'd be some sort of compensatory disincentive. But I'm not encouraged by what I see happening - in town and county - since they introduced the new system. Admittedly, there'll have to be a natural 'catch-up' time lag, and maybe in a year or two I'll eat (or recycle, or re-use ;) ) my words...

Finally - 'cos I've talked enough rubbish for one day! - I'd venture that the colossal regional discrepancies in average 'cost-to-the-consumer/householder' remain a significant aggravating factor in terms of our capacity to reform our (generally appalling) habits/attitudes to this issue.

[Dr Moriarty removes his morticeboard, breathes a self-righteous sigh, and heads off to the local hostelry to commence celebrations of our Nashnul Holiday... :lol ]

Also, imho, it definitely contributes to illegal dumping/burning of refuse. If that were policed properly, and fines imposed, there'd be some sort of compensatory disincentive.

When bag tagging was introduced around our way in January 2005 they collected untagged bags the first week but any that were left out from then on were tagged with red tags by litter wardens and then later collected by somebody else (i.e. not the regular refuse trucks) presumably for analysis to find information tracing them back to the dumpers who were hopefully fined.

"Cork Couunty Council charge €0.31 per kg on the by by weight collection system - billed quarterly - so I've no fecking idea how much it's gonna cost. There is also an annual levy of €120 (I think) on topof that.
Given that more people are now recycling & I see the bins put out less often I think that they will increase the fee to €15.92 per kg next year."

In fact the Cork County Manager had some class things to say about this last year. it turned out that last year in the parts of the county that had pay by weight that to many people reduced, reused, recycled. so they got way less money than they thought they would for the weighed waste. Which meant that the county manager said they would have to put up the cost per KG because no matter how much they collected they still needed to collect 400 quid per household. Which leads to an obvious issue of the pay by weight being manipulated to basically make sure a fixed charge is met in any case....

"When bag tagging was introduced around our way in January 2005 they collected untagged bags the first week but any that were left out from then on were tagged with red tags by litter wardens and then later collected by somebody else (i.e. not the regular refuse trucks) presumably for analysis to find information tracing them back to the dumpers who were hopefully fined. "

That used work until people who do the illegal dumping worked out that as long as you don't chuck any rubbish with your name/address in the bags that you firearound the streets, you will never be nabbed. Impossible to trace back without some kind of identifying paper in the bag. And most people are now smart enough to know this.

Slight correction to ninsaga numbers for Cork county council, it charges €0.47 per kilo of waste and 120 fixed charge, first quarterly bill is due in April. (From www.corkcoco.ie).

The estimates for average rubbish per household vary between 1 to 1.5 tonnes from a quick google search, I think the pay by weight will dramatically reduce this in Cork, but for anyone who hasn't reduced their weight in Cork they can expect to see annual bills of around €600-800. I'd expect there should be a few over €1000 (a family with a couple babies for instance).

bin charges

Waterford: (council run) 80 euro per year fixed charge, plus 4.50 euro per landfill bin and 1.50 euro for green or compost bin (collected in 3-week rotations). Works out at about 175 euro/year and tough luck if you've a big household making more than one wheelie bin's worth of rubbish every 3 weeks.

Kilkenny: (privatized) 27 euro per month (18 euro for a smaller bin) for a fortnightly collection. Alternate weeks is green collection, 1.50 per bag. Landfill collection in addition to wheelie bin is 5 euro per bag. Works out at about 340 euro/year.

J.

..Cork CoCo

Yep ..Ashambles..got a letter today stating that it was €0.47c/kg.

Last yr they sent notification that it was €0.31 or thereabouts. I did not get anynotice of the change.

So in the 1st 2 months over 100kgs collected (& I have been recylying everything but not composting!). Nappies are the biggest 'contributor' now.

So at this rate €50 for evety 2 months x 6 = €300 + €120 standing charge = €420/yr.

I will need to start composting but yes it is set up that based on prev habits I would have been fleeced. I'm taking bets that Cork Coco will hike up the charges from next year.

Anyone know off hand how much it is to empty a car boot at the dump in Cork?

ninsaga

dundak town council : (privatised )€67.50 per quarter 2004 €81 per quarter 2005. Two directors of the waste company ( oxygen) paid themselves over €1m each last year out of the profits (2004 €6m) Green bin 'free' so far , collected once a month, no brown bin. supplied by oxygen( once only ) a roll of clear plastic bags for plastic bottles, ie shampoo, water, mineral etc which is put on top of the rubbish in the ordinary grey/black bin -not the green bin. just as well as the ruddy thing is full after a fortnight anyway and the rest just goes in the grey bin, especially milk cartons etc in weeks 3 and 4. and I take all cans and glass bottles to bring banks of which there are about 7/8 in town. Also a brilliant recycling plant on the newry road ( €1 admission) cardboard, paper, cans ,bottles, builders waste, garden trees, biscuit tins, bicycles, lawn mowers etc free. plastic bags of household waste €6 tv and computers €5 shredding €5 a bag fridges and freezers €5 each ( cud be gone up since I inquired) very clean and well run depot.

Ninsaga,
A car, no matter how much or little in it is 20 euro at the kinsale road dump. Obviously if your car has say a fridge or TV in it those items cost more.

As far as I understand the County Council dumps(Macroom, Rafeen Creek) etc, it is 7 euro per large black bag.

Half the service ... same price

Got out bin bill last week ... as mentioned 408 yoyos ... this week we got a roll of recycling bags and a not informing us rubbish would only be collected every second week ... the service charge is still the same. What a joke.

Re: Half the service ... same price

Ok - so it would make sense to get rind of the bin & make a trip to the dump every month or so (it takes us about that long to fill a wheeie bin to the top anyway. No doubt though that the €20 will also be hiked up o probably €30 shortly.

ninsaga

Ninsaga,
it depends really. Going once a month in summer time will be a disaster in terms of smell I would think. Also, i don't think you are allowed tax relief on going to the dump. So if your bin charge works out to be 400 quid, tax relief will bring it to 320 right. If you went to the dump once a month thats 240. However, you might have to go every 3 weeks during the summer, say mid may to end Aug because of the extra smell. Say that means 2 extra visits. So now up to 280 by direct trips. Add in the cost of gettign there and back and the hassle to save 40 euro in the year...is it worth it? Also, if you go the dump route then you have to bring all your own recycleable stuff to bring banks...if you have a green bin you lose out on this. So how much extra will all those trips cost??

However, currently, i am doing as you are thinking, getting away currently with every 5 to 6 weeks trip to dump. Bring bank once a week. But I do see that having to increase when warmer weather comes. I think however at that stage, I am going to go half with my parents and share the cost of a bin with them when I need to use a bin.

By the way, the dump cost already doubled from 20 to 30 quid on Jan 31 so its unlikely to increase until next years estimates. And bearing in mind that loads of people will go this route because if you go there once a month its cheaper, i think you could expect the 20 to be doubled again next year to 40.

Yep ..certainly food for thought there L99. It would look that (for now anyway), that the best 'deal' to be had is for those who are on the pay per collection (Cork City Council) at €5 a pop.

But it does look to be shaping up to be something that will become more expensive in due course. I can see now how some people are choosing the route of dumping on roadsides.

ninsaga

Don't forget Cork City Council have a standing charge of €255 on top of the tag charge of 3-5 euro.

Back