How much does it cost to build a house in Ireland?

So if they are saying a new 3 bed house costs €397k to build, how are building firms selling new build 3 bed 2 bath houses in Carlow for €300k?

Lies, damn lies and statistics me thinks

So if they are saying a new 3 bed house costs €397k to build, how are building firms selling new build 3 bed 2 bath houses in Carlow for €300k?

Lies, damn lies and statistics me thinks
They're saying the average cost is, they clearly don't all cost the same, that's how averages work.

They're saying the average cost is, they clearly don't all cost the same, that's how averages work.
I'm well aware how averages work, I did maths in the Leaving Cert thank you very much. However the RTE report is inconsistent in what it is stating and doesn't clearly mention average. It states
the SCSI calculate that a new 3-bedroom house costs €397,000 nationally, and €461,000 in the Greater Dublin Area

There is no mention of average on that statement, just a link to something else. It's poor and lazy journalism from RTE

The Rte article has a link to the report here.

The report makes it clear that these are the costs to deliver a house not build a house and it includes land costs.

Extract here:

Key findings from the Report

The average cost of delivering a new 3-bed semi in Ireland ranges from €354K in the Northwest to €461K in the Greater Dublin Area
Costs in the GDA have increased on average by 24% or €90K since the last report over three years ago and by 39% since the first report in 2016
Nationally, the average cost of delivering a 3-bed semi is €397K
Excluding Dublin, the average cost across the rest of Ireland is €386K
As a national average, hard costs which include materials and house building costs make up 53% of overall delivery costs
Soft costs – land, margin, levies, finance costs, VAT, etc – make up 47%

I'm well aware how averages work, I did maths in the Leaving Cert thank you very much. However the RTE report is inconsistent in what it is stating and doesn't clearly mention average. It states
the SCSI calculate that a new 3-bedroom house costs €397,000 nationally, and €461,000 in the Greater Dublin Area

There is no mention of average on that statement, just a link to something else. It's poor and lazy journalism from RTE
Isn't average implied? Unless you think it anyway realistic that every single new build 3-bed costs exactly the same regardless of the developer...

Isn't average implied? Unless you think it anyway realistic that every single new build 3-bed costs exactly the same regardless of the developer...
no, to me it is RTE making a factually inaccurate statement and is just lazy reporting

no, to me it is RTE making a factually inaccurate statement and is just lazy reporting
You always have to assume RTE are misrepresenting the facts, either to promote their agenda or due to ineptitude, or a combination of both.

Back