How much cash can you carry between EU countries?

DaveD

Anybody know where I can find out if there are currently any limits on the amount of cash a person can carry between Ireland and another EU country? I know that there are new EU rules coming into effect in 2007 ( [broken link removed] ), however its the situation that applies at present that I'm curious about. By the way, it's a purely hypothetical question!

Exchange controls were abolished in Ireland years ago so there is no limit on the amount of cash that you can carry into and out of the country. Not sure about other countries though.

As far as I know, there are no EU limits on moving cash within the EU. After all, the whole thing is based on free movement of goods, capital and people.

Some countries may impose a customs/revenue requirement to declare monies above a certain limit - I'm almost certain France does - but I don't think that they can restrict the amounts. Why would you want to carry large sums about, unless they are from an illegal source ...

The document linked to above refers to the movement of cash into or out of the EU

Thanks guys, would have helped if I'd read the my own link contents of course!

I have to agree I see no legitimate reason for carrying large amounts of cash overseas. Anyone who does it is almost certainly trying to hide it from the tax man - and deserves to be prosecuted. But like I said, it was a hypothetical query.

Anyone who does it is almost certainly trying to hide it from the tax man - and deserves to be prosecuted.
I don't see how that's necessarily true. Professional criminals are probably more likely to launder money as soon as possible to get it into the banking systems.

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that transferring more than 30,000 out of Germany, it is necessary to notify the Bundesbank but I'm not sure if this is still the case.

According to Wikipedia:
History of the EMU

The [broken link removed] of 1989 set out a plan to introduce the EMU in three stages and it included the creation of institutions like the European System of Central Banks (ESCB), which would become responsible for formulating and implementing monetary policy.

The three stages for the implementation of the EMU were the following:

Stage One: 1 July 1990 to 31 December 1993
  • On 1 July 1990, exchange controls were abolished, thus capital movements were completely liberalised in the EEC.

its generally 10k in cash more and ur supposed to declare it i carried 20k on me one time no one asks

The "radar" is really only for detecting hot money. If there is nothing untoward going on then there is nothing to worry about and no need to artifically limit the amount carried at any one time.

Back