How do I move CRH shares registered with Computershare U.S. to an Irish broker?

S class

Mods note- Extracted from another thread

The Medallion Signature Guarantee is an expensive and difficult process.
There is no provider of this service in Ireland.
The nearest provider is based in London and they charge approximately £250 + vat to provide the Medallion Signature Certificate.
I had this problem with a small quantity of Prothena shares in computershare usa.
The shares are worth about 200 dollars and are effectively locked in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helping my mother with this She has large amount of crh shares and we registered her details and set up bank account details with Computershare US …Also sent the w8 form back
we never registered them with computer share Ireland She never had a broker just the hard copies certificates that she inherited
will it be a complete nightmare if she wishes to sell them in the future
any advice greatly appreciated

She has 10,000 shares and is in her 80s but unwilling to sell
We are just worried we have not done this correctly cant get anyone else n the phone

its Very complicated :-(
michael
dublin

Last edited:
will it be a complete nightmare if she wishes to sell them in the future

Hi Michael

How much are the shares worth?

What age is she?

Is she likely to sell them?

If she is unlikely to sell them, and if they are worth less than €60,000, you may as well leave them where they are.

If she might sell them, then, at some stage you should transfer them to one of the European brokers such as Davys.

This will require another step by step guide, as it does seem to be complicated in that you need something called a Medallion Certificate to transfer them to Davys or to get Computershare to sell them.

If there is no hurry, I would suggest waiting until someone else tries it and then describes how it worked.

Brendan

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with transferring shares once they moved across to the US? I have just inherited a sum of shares (about 10k worth) and I have completed the stock transfer form and W8 to transfer the shares into my name, the main roadblock now is the medallion sig guarantee. Any advise on how to get around this?

Thanks in advance

At the end of this process will the shares be in your name and still in computershare USA or in your name and transferred to your own broker ?
If they remain in your name in Computershare USA you would probably require a second medallion signature guarantee to eventually transfer them out to your own broker. In the case of PROTHENA shares computershare do not offer a share sale service. This is possibly the case with CRH shares.

There was a previous post in aam saying that Davy stockbrokers offered a reasonably priced medallion signature guarantee to existing clients.

Last edited:
There are a few providers but they are €400 each.

https://www.findersinternational.ie/our-services/medallion-signature-guarantees/

Back