How about Eddie Hobbs for our next MOF?

Gerry Adams, Martin McGuinness, Bobby Sands etc. winning handsome electoral majorities. I am not sure how you square these facts with your assertion. Possibilities are:

1. These people were in fact elected by protestant votes .
2. They were indeed elected by catholics but in the belief that their supposed involvement in the violent campaign was government lies.
3. Because of discrimination catholics lacked the literacy to understand how the electoral ballot worked.

None of these seem very convincing but perhaps you can help clarify the matter.
No doubt the Tribes swung into voting for Mc Guinness,Sands,Adams Paisley etc, but its a stretch to say they voted for terrorism.
No doubt because N Ire is tribal, people vote for (their kind)
Its too easy to say point 3. Sadly N Ire remains tribal and each tribe covets their own.
People in N Ire (on nationalist side) may well have understood the sad motivation why so many youths endorsed terrorism , that's far from supporting.

Northern Ireland is no more suited to real democracy than some underdeveloped parts of sub-Saharan Africa which are also enmeshed in a deep rooted tribal conflict. What they have now is the best that can be expected given the ignorant, bigoted tribal nature of the electorate. Maybe in another 100 years they will be mature enough to get out from under their ethnic/religious/tribal ignorance.

No doubt the Tribes swung into voting for Mc Guinness,Sands,Adams etc, but its a stretch to say they voted for terrorism.
People in N Ire (on nationalist side) may well have understood the sad motivation why so many youths endorsed terrorism , that's far from supporting.
Voting for self confessed terrorists (ok Gerry never technically confessed), understanding the motivation for terrorism, doesn't sound too far from supporting to me.:rolleyes:

I know I am fulfilling Godwin's Law but one might say of Germany from 1930-1945 that its people voted for genocidists and understood their motivation, but, sure, the majority did not actually operate the gas chambers.

Last edited:
Avoid Godwin's law; cite Rwanda or Serbia instead. Same thing, we just saw it coming those times and still did nothing about it. More recent as well. I regard Adams as cut from the same cloth.

Duke.

I hear you ,
But even in Germany the vote was one of anger (not a good policy) and from my reading, most Germans thought Hitler was controllable, they were not advocates or supporters of genocide , in the same way supporters of Adams were not apologists for terrorism.
It seems we get leaders we vote for with our short-termism glasses on ?

It is good to see erstwhile terrorists moving to a better place.

In the current political climate in Ireland, too many politicians seem to believe that anger is a policy - Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger, Mary Lou, the Right to Water mob etc.
As for supporters of Gerry Adams not being apologists for terrorism, well I disagree. They try to talk the talk about not supporting killings (Jerry McCabe, that Prison Officer, the young guy Quinn, the stabbing to death of the guy in the Belfast pub with almost 100 republicans present none of whom saw anything etc etc) but they never, never walk the walk. Despite Gerry Adams saying that anyone with information should contact the Gardai or PSNI, surprisingly nobody ever does.
So God forbid we end up with a collection of anarchists and apologists being anywhere near power after next Friday.

Conan,

Looks like the apologists who were on 24% in opinion polls got 15% actual vote.
They are not near power and I hope their path to non violent politics continues and that they continue realising that violence was never a policy.
Most people under 35 have minimal conception of the carnage created by Mr Adams cousins in IRA ,so, if Sinn Feins policies appeal, they will vote SF.
Older people are very entitled to question SF,s past , but as each year passes ,we are permitted to loosen the hold the past has on us...

maybe even FF & FG can forget the Civil war ??

Good ole Eddie plying his trade for Dolores McNamara no less:

Limerick housewife Dolores McNamara, who became one of Ireland’s richest people when she scooped €115 million in the biggest lotto jackpot in European history, is involved in a bidding competition with [broken link removed] over future ownership of Limerick’s top-performing retail park, Childers Road Retail Park....

Mrs McNamara, who is not known to have acquired commercial property investments in the past through her company Blue Haven, is being advised by[broken link removed], the media personality and financial adviser.

Good ole Eddie plying his trade for Dolores McNamara no less:

Limerick housewife Dolores McNamara, who became one of Ireland’s richest people when she scooped €115 million in the biggest lotto jackpot in European history, is involved in a bidding competition with [broken link removed] over future ownership of Limerick’s top-performing retail park, Childers Road Retail Park....

Mrs McNamara, who is not known to have acquired commercial property investments in the past through her company Blue Haven, is being advised by[broken link removed], the media personality and financial adviser.
Good on her. It's great to see she's doing something with the money.

Back