House remodeling

LivLand

I'm looking at buying a 4 bed terrace, the house is an ex council house from around the 50's. Over time I would be looking to re arrange the house layout, due to an awkard kitchen / dinning room layout. As part of the changes I was looking to remove the fourth bedroom and use it to extend one of the bedrooms, create an en suite for the master bedroom and move the boiler to the landing (which is currently in a bedroom). The question i'm looking to ask is taking a 4 bed and making it into a 3 bed financial suicide ?

I'm looking at buying a 4 bed terrace, the house is an ex council house from around the 50's. Over time I would be looking to re arrange the house layout, due to an awkard kitchen / dinning room layout. As part of the changes I was looking to remove the fourth bedroom and use it to extend one of the bedrooms, create an en suite for the master bedroom and move the boiler to the landing (which is currently in a bedroom). The question i'm looking to ask is taking a 4 bed and making it into a 3 bed financial suicide ?
Without more details on the size - and indeed location - of the house, it's very difficult to say. It's not automatically a major value risk (though converting a three bedroom house to a two bedroom almost always is). If the bedroom in question is a small single, I suspect your plans will probably be additionally attractive to as many people as it'll put off. A master en-suite does add value, but whether it's the same amount as an extra bedroom is difficult to say.

If the bedroom is larger - generous single to estate-agent-speak-double, and you're in a very family-occupied area, it may be more of a risk. It's certainly not a task I'd undertake if I were planning / likely to sell within a short period and work like that may not always fully pay for itself in an eventual sale, but if you can do it well and plan to be there for at least the next five to ten years, it sounds like a good idea!

Thanks for the information - This is a long term home, not a quick buck. With the current state of market i'm not sure there is or will be a quick buck for a long time to come.

I wouldn't like to move a house around knowing that at the end of it I had massively devauled it. The room is the front bedroom over the stairs, so it's not the largest of rooms and has a built in cupboard over the stairs.

Back