House purchase without certificate of complaince to Building Regulations

FredH

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing a house (deposit down) that was built in 2007. It was fully built but never sold & went into Nama (small ghost estate 8 houses). The houses are now being fully refurbished.

The house comes with a 10 yr structural bond from sale date, but we are also now told that the house will not come with a certificate of compliance to Building Regulations as they say the original architect & builder are no longer involved.

My question is do people think I am taking a huge risk? Have I have grounds to look for a price reduction? If so, should I do this through my solicitor?

thank you,
F.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if your solicitor does not raise the issue as part of the conveyancing process and question completion in those circumstances.

I think you should be able to get your own engineer to do a cert of compliance for approx €500. Assuming the house actually is compliant. If it isn't well at least you will know.

There will be limitations to what an engineer can state in an opinion on compliance after the fact.

Back