House prices in Lucan - sell investment now or hold on ?

Howitzer said:
My point boils down to the fact that I believe Lucan has lost a lot of it's appeal, certainly for owner occupiers, that it has a reputation as being an urban sprawl. And that developers recognise this by categorising their new developments, where possible, as being somewhere else.

Prices are indeed increasing quite markedly, which completely goes against what I'm saying, so I guess you pays your money you takes your chance.

I'd disagree with that too, I have been living there for 3 years and think it is great. There is very little anti-social stuff going on, nice parks, nice estates etc. On the contrary I think Lucan was underrated and now people are beginning to see its appeal and therefore the prices have been going up quite a lot in the last 12-16 months.

SteelBlue05 said:
I'd disagree with that too, I have been living there for 3 years and think it is great. There is very little anti-social stuff going on, nice parks, nice estates etc. On the contrary I think Lucan was underrated and now people are beginning to see its appeal and therefore the prices have been going up quite a lot in the last 12-16 months.

As someone who grew up in Lucan for the best part of 30 years, it is pleasing to see SteelBlue's note. I was saying this for years to the D4 crowd i went to college with, i was duly dismissed, and now years later most of them have bought houses in the area. Ha ha!

Thanks for the feedback - I've just been trying to make out the map on the south dublin co. council - is the Kishogue train station going to be near the back of Foxborough estate ? If so would this be really catering for Foxborough, Earlsfort, Rochfort, Griffeen etc residents ? i.e. those estates built during the late ninties ? Any idea when this train station would be up and running ?? I noticed a big increase in house prices in the area over the last year and thought they may stagnate around 380K now (mind you I had also expected them to stay at the 317K) because of the stamp duty limits but I would think that people will want the flexibility of a train station. Also - is the Luas or Metro going to be in addition to this commuter train? Trying to keep track of these transport initiatives is making my head spin !!

Sorry - just noticed the date of 2012 posted for the Luas in an earlier posting - again any idea as to location of this - is it even at that stage yet ?? On the CGT front , we lived in the house for a few years before renting so as each year goes on we would be paying a higher percentage of the CGT (right now we'd have to pay say 5/9ths , next year it will be 6/10th , following 7/11th and so on of the 20%) . If prices stagnate we'd have to pay a bigger chunk of profit out.. (not sure if I'm explaining it that well). On the v. positive side we have a sitting tenant and the rent covers mortgage payments.

Lucan now encompasses all of Dublin west of, and including, Chapelizod. Adamstown also subsumed into the belly of the beast. Tomorrow, the world!

Todays Indo (free registration required).

Back