Home House insurance quote refused

Simon Berrow

FBD have just refused to quote me for house insurance because it has lapsed for 3 years. No reason given. I was insured with them but had not renewed my policy with them (or anybody) for 3 years due to financial constraints. i have never made a claim on household insurance. can they refuse me for no reason ??

Try another insurer. IME FBD are very expensive. I used to have car and house with them 8 or 9 years ago and have never gone back as some of their pricing is just insane.

I have a friend who had the very same issue with them, customer for years but just had to let it lapse due to financial reasons, again approx 3 yrs later they wouldn't quote but they managed to get it cheaper with another company anyway who didn't have that silly rule.

Ok thats positive, thought if a big company like FBD refuse, what chance others. Astounded they can do this for no reason, great customer service

Could there be another reason? Construction? flood prone area? It seems unusual to refuse to quote simply because you were not insured.

I had the same problem with FBD though for car insurance and they said that I no longer fulfilled their criteria and there was no grounds for appeal. I was with them for 7 years for car and household insurance, then left the country for a while and came back. If it is of any help to you we went to Robert Blythman and Associates Insurance brokers in Dun Laoghaire 012808451. We got what we needed through them.

A lot of house insurers are now refusing where there has been a gap in cover. Most likely because they think that if you havent had cover in the last few year and you take it out now there may be a reason for taking it out such as you discovered a leak etc. or a general lack of maintenance.

It is generally for moral hazard reasons that an insurer will refuse after a gap in cover, but there are a number insurers on the market that should quote including Allianz.

Back