house insurance claim what can I claim for?

elainem

Builder and architect have just taken my kitchen apart - plaster off walls, kitchen units taken out, floor tiles removed, believing there was rising damp underneath. What they found was underfloor pipes leaking in several places. The property is a period property, and the quote I've been given to fix matters (excluding kitchen at 8k) is 30K. This includes replastering and tanking the walls and floor, disposing of all the rubble, and chaning the central heating system to a closed sytem - involving a new boiler and pipework, and reconnecting plumbing and electrics afterwards, repainting, tiling and blocking up one door. The insurance assessor will only cover the cost of replastering and tiling. He will give me something towards new kitchen units, and something towards loss of rent. It is a rental property and I have currently lost two month's rent. He won't cover the cost of new pipe work, or new boiler (have to have new boilder as my crrent boiler has no expansion tank in it). He won't cover the cost of removing plaster and tiles on floor, or disposing of same, although this could not be avoided. I meant to ask him would he cover the cost of architect fees for project management which are 5.5k, but I forgot. Does anybody out there know what I can claim for. Do I need an independent assessor of my own? Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks, Elaine.

Where the tiles/plastering damaged by the water or are they being removed to get access to the pipe work? If it is for access you are unlikely to be covered. Trace and access is normally not covered under a landlords insurance, even if it was your own home the cover would be limited to less than a €1,000. I would look at getting your own assessor/adjuster but check out the cost first and ask him will this be covered by your insurance.

Hi! everyone, thanks for your replies. The assessor is only allowing me roughly 8.5k out of 40k costs for repair to damage by leak. Is this normal? He is allowing me 2,500k for kitchen units - even though I am replacing old with the same new ones at a cost of 5.5k for units alone, 2.5k for electricals and 700 euro fitting costs. He is allowing me 2.5k for plastering costs, even though the builder has stated 4k in his quotations - room is 25 x 15 feet. He has allowed only 2.5k for supply and fit of tiles, even though replacing the terracotta tiles alone is 2.5k without wall tiles and tiling. He has allowed 250 euros for painting, though the builder has stated 400 euros. He has only allowed 1,000 euros for loss of rent, even though the rent was 2,300 euros per month, and I will have lost two months rent. He is refusing to make any contribution to architects fees to supervise the project, even though I could not do it myself as I live 50 miles away, and have two small children. Any advice appreciated? Is it worth getting an independent assessor, or should I just accept this. Thanks, Elaine.

Has he advised you he thinks the buildings are under-insured? This could be why he is reducing the amount in each quotation as an average clause may apply. (depends on the policy). Do you have your policy through a broker or direct with the company? If its a broker, they should be able to fight your corner on this or at least explain the situation!
Dont forget, you're perfectly entitled to ask the assessor why he is only allowing that much!

Back