House Alarm switching from Eircom Phone watch

No it just covers monitoring. Also checked the monthly payment again and it's actually €16 not €19 as I stated in my first post.

Thats why its so cheap. Is the alarm never serviced ?
According to the standards for monitoring of an alarm you need the system serviced to have garda response on a monitored alarm.

The reason I ask is if you get an alarm installed you will receive a EN50131 cert off the installer. A copy for you and a copy for your insurance company. If you send this in you will receive a discount of up to 30% depending on the insurance company you use for a monitored alarm. If after the first year you dont get the alarm serviced the alarm becomes a standard alarm and you must inform your insurance company who will put the alarm down on your policy as same.

alt1 Thank you for this information.....reading this thread prompted me to do some checking. In 2007 we received a letter from our insurer saying that we needed to have an alarm installed to comply with regulations etc. We had Phonewatch install the alarm. We paid for the alarm and shortly afterwards we had an amount taken from our account. Phonewatch had charge us in advance for monitoring service and routine inspection. That was around €275. Never thought anything more about it. Beginning 2009 we realised we had no service done during that year or 2008. When I rang them they explained we had to initiate the service that they don't come out to do it unless we called them. We then opted for basic package. From what you say our alarm needs to be serviced. What would you suggest.

alt1 Thank you for this information.....reading this thread prompted me to do some checking. In 2007 we received a letter from our insurer saying that we needed to have an alarm installed to comply with regulations etc. We had Phonewatch install the alarm. We paid for the alarm and shortly afterwards we had an amount taken from our account. Phonewatch had charge us in advance for monitoring service and routine inspection. That was around €275. Never thought anything more about it. Beginning 2009 we realised we had no service done during that year or 2008. When I rang them they explained we had to initiate the service that they don't come out to do it unless we called them. We then opted for basic package. From what you say our alarm needs to be serviced. What would you suggest.

It is them who should of made you aware of this, after all it is them who are monitoring your alarm. A lot of people have never had a service on there alarm except when they have a problem. From EP point of view it is up to you to arrange these visits which in my opinion should not have to be the case if your paying for it.

You can get monitoring plus the two service visits you need for €220 plus off different alarm company's. A lot cheaper than EP charge.

Not many people are Ann1. It is only a matter of changing the monitoring numbers in the panel. If you want info on this ask some questions here.

I have an additional question on this if anyone can help. Again have Phonewatch system installed by a previous owner which is now not being monitored, one of the sensors is on the kitchen window which is single glazed and I am hoping to change it for a double glazed unit for heat and condensation reasons, how difficult is it to remove the sensor when the old window frame is being taken out and replaced to the new one. I have asked the Glazer but the answer wasn't very clear and I'm not sure if its something I should go ahead with if there is a possibility that I will have problems with the sensor.

I have an additional question on this if anyone can help. Again have Phonewatch system installed by a previous owner which is now not being monitored, one of the sensors is on the kitchen window which is single glazed and I am hoping to change it for a double glazed unit for heat and condensation reasons, how difficult is it to remove the sensor when the old window frame is being taken out and replaced to the new one. I have asked the Glazer but the answer wasn't very clear and I'm not sure if its something I should go ahead with if there is a possibility that I will have problems with the sensor.

If the system is not monitored and maintained the system wont be up to standards so taking the sensor off yourself wont be an issue. Open the sensor, your alarm will activate. Enter your user code at the keypad/panel. Take off the old sensor and put on new window. If the alarm goes off just enter your user code to turn it off. When your finished make sure you test the sensor on the alarm.

Back