Hotel Recommendations San Francisco

Slim

Hi all,
I'm looking for recommendations for a nice hotel in or near San Francisco. We need to stay 3 nights, twice, in Feb/Mar 2023. Our budget is a max of $850, aircon, each stay. We want to do a bit of sightseeing, Fisherman's Wharf, etc. A self catering hotel or apartment would also work. I have checked Booking.com and Airbnb but many reviews of apparently good hotels, mention thin walls, nit clean, noisy streets or dirty sidewalks, dodgy characters etc. We like to walk a lot. Any personal recommendations? Thanks.

but many reviews of apparently good hotels, mention thin walls, nit clean, noisy streets or dirty sidewalks, dodgy characters etc.
That basically sums up most of SF to be honest.
Bar the likes of upmarket places like Pacific Heights, Nob Hill etc.
It's a gritty enough place otherwise.
I like it. :D

We stayed in Hotel Riu Plaza Fisherman's Wharf in March and it was ideal for what you're describing.

Actually booked it but read lot of unfavourable reviews. Were you happy enough with it?
Safe, clean, comfortable, good service. No problems with noise. Rooms a bit dated maybe. Location is perfect for tourist stuff, around the corner from the trolleys and the piers. Has a Trader Joes and another big grocery store nearby, and there's a Hillstone restaurant a few minutes walk away.

We would rate it 4 out of 5 overall. Had a look there on Google at the most recent 30 or so reviews, all 4 or 5 star, so seems to still be ok.

Without a doubt go to Mamas for breakfast while your there. Try as many things on the menu as possible. It's fantastic.

Back in 2018 on a road trip we stayed in the Phoenix hotel and found it quite good, one of the best on that trip
Don't remember it been noisy at night time but with a pool outside the door it could be busy during the day but probably not in Feb/Mar
Can't remember if there was breakfast provided but there is a restaurant in the complex and tons of places within a few blocks
There's also parking in the hotel as well if you've got a car
We walked a lot while there and though we walk through some doggy places and seen a few unsavoury things never felt unsafe or threatened

Love San Fran, been there several times since the early noughties and even lived there a spell, what I have noticed though is how the downtown area seems to be rougher every time I go back. I have never once had a problem there at any time but the last couple of times staying in the downtown area felt uncomfortable (most recent stay though was 2018 so I couldn't really say what it is like now). For my next trip though I will steer clear of hotels around Union Square, Market Street and south of Market, Financial District, Civic Center, Tenderloin. It feels obscene to be paying downtown hotel prices when you are constantly coming across deprivation in the neighbourhood. If you must stay in San Fran itself, stick to North Beach, Pacific Heights etc. Wherever you pick, aim for somewhere with good transport links. Alternatively think about staying somewhere like Sausalito, taking the ferry into the city, plenty of pretty walking in Marin county!

A friend was there for work, recently, and said that the city has really deteriorated, sadly. He was previously there about 4 years ago.

He stayed up on NobHill - expensive, but probably the best location, in terms of cleanliness, safety etc. It's within walking distance of Chinatown, and there's a tram line that runs up the hill, if you don't want to walk to Union Sq. etc.

Based on what I've heard recently, I'd see the Bridge and Alcatraz, then try and get to Nappa Valley for a couple of days, instead.

Last edited:
Muir Woods, north of SF, is worth a visit and an opportunity to cross the Golden Gate Bridge on the way/back.

If you're a geek, like me, then a trip south to the Computer History Museum in Mountain View is a must.

Thanks for all the input. I bit the bullet and booked Riu Fisherman's Wharf. I had originally booked it anyway. If it's not good on the way out I will have free cancellation for the second stay. Cheers all and Happy Christmas!

Hi Slim,

Just a bit of advice which you may have actually heard before.

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to.................. :)

Back