Home Staging: Paint Vs Wallpaper?

do you think its absolutely necessary to paint the interior doors?

No, unless they are in really bad shape then I think it would be a waste of money. Presumably all the interior doors will be wide open (do leave them wide open as it gives a much better sense of space than doors that are just ajar) so nobody will be looking at them "face on" as it were.

I also think you are very wise to allow buyers to open all cupboards and wardrobes, everybody wants to see how much storage there is and if some is closed off to them they might suspect something off, like a wall protrusion necessitating a shallow wardrobe, or part of the wardrobe being unuseable or, possibly worst of all, damp.

some of the doors look relatively ok but others are a bit knocked. They are the cheap standard Plywood interior doors that dont really stand the test of time, and in my own opinion if I was buying the house myself its possible I'd look at replacing them with something of better quality down the road.

The problem is, if I paint one I'll have to paint them all and that's difficult enough with a toddler in the house.

But I agree with leo that its a return on investment.

Returning to your original question, if you have rooms with strong colours, it might be nice to paper one wall to accent the colour and/or lift the tone of the room, for colours such as raspberry, light purples or pinks. Not necessarily with the light coffee colour you mentioned though. Oh... this thread reminds me I have committed to painting the sitting room this month! Gonna get one of them sander mouse things!

I love my new sander! cant believe I've gotten through without one for so long :D

Originally I was thinking about wallpapering one wall in a few rooms but I've decided to go for paint on all walls. Mostly so as not to alienate potential buyers and also to make it a little easier on ourselves. But I may consider wallpapering the chimney breast to make the sitting room a little cosier.

Originally I was thinking about wallpapering one wall in a few rooms but I've decided to go for paint on all walls. Mostly so as not to alienate potential buyers and also to make it a little easier on ourselves. But I may consider wallpapering the chimney breast to make the sitting room a little cosier.

I think your first impulse to decide against wallpaper is a wise one. A painted wall is much easier for a buyer to change than wallpaper. If you think the room needs cosying up try a large picture on the chimney breast or dress up the mantel or the fire-grate itself.

Back