Holiday in Nice

maryrose

Looking forward to well earned holiday in September.
Thinking of staying in Nice, as I have always wanted to see the south of France , and this looks like the most likely spot for exploring the coastline, going east and west.
I will be travelling on my ownio , so I can please myself re., schedules etc.
I need to know what parts of the city to steer clear of , ( or maybe not stay in)
I'm thinking of booking a small apartment or studio, I will only be sleeping in it, as I intend to pack in as much exploring and day tripping as I can whack.
I would like to know about interesting places to see, the must see and must do
things, also any hints re., local transport and reccomended restuarants, art galleries are also a favourite haunt.
Im also hoping to squeeze in a trip to Italy, by rail , and would love to hear from anybody who has done this..

Hi Suellen, Thank you for reply, I did search, and couldn't find anything specific
to Nice, even though lots of info on various other regions and cities.
I might try Lonely Planet.
Croatia is the hot topic at work these days, and that's also on the list
of places to see before I reach for the Zimmer frame.

I went to Nice two years ago and am going again this August. Its great.

We rented a car and travelled over to Italy to San Remo. It is about an hours (going very fast!) drive away from Nice and was quite interesting. There was supposed to be a market there on a Wednesday... but we went on a Thursday! Theres loads of nice cheap pizzarias there, apart from that it was rather dull - a half day trip at the most.

At one point we did use the train system; from Antibes to Nice - it was excellent, reliable, affordable and comfortable. We also took a torist train up the mountains to Tende; an empty village in the mountains... worth the trip for the novelty of going on the train through the beautiful mountains and then seeing theis quait old french village.

Cannes is also worth the visit - just to say you have ''been there'', it was very modern with nice shop filled streets. Altought the beachs around Cannes are not sandy - once you pass Antibes, all the beachs to the west are stony-ish. So stick to Nice if you want a sandy beach.

Inland we drove to St. Paul de Vance; althought there are buses to it; it was really worth the drive because we have an interest in Art - its full of small galleries with international works for sale. The town is built on a hill with walls around it; again very traditional in appearance - but modern in shops and cafes.

If you go to Nice, make sure to check out Monoco. It was really unbelieavable - the opulance and wealth is amazing. There is a public outdoor swimming pool - 50m long - on the coast in Monoco. By the way, we did not need passports to cross the borders to Italy and Monaco.

Our big advantage was hiring a car with satillitte navigation - we typed in restaurant into the computer and it told us to take a right, go 100m, take a left, drive 400m, take a left and there you are, a restaurant!

For bus, train, rail etc. info, see http://wikitravel.org/en/Nice . By the way, the airport is very modern and a pleasure to use in comparision to Dublin Airport. Enjoy your trip!

Oh yeah, my aunts coming back from Croatia this week after a few months there! She is on a gap year from work, and did TEFL Teaching there (teacking english as a forign languague). She loved it, traveled all over the place

Hi
Been there twice , loved it. Nice itself is interesting and there is a fantastic food and flowers market there most days , didn't notice any really bad areas but as with anyplace be careful. Shopping is good there with lots on offer. The main sea front is Promenade des Anglais which is a 2 mile beach with a long promenade on it. If you can get something with a sea view it makes it much better.
The beach has a lot of private areas where you can rent out deck chairs and have drinks brought to you but there is plenty of public areas as well..
Also as with Monaco you can walk around a headland and see the yachts belonging to the rich.
We did the trips to Monaco and Canne but mainly vegged out. The bus to Canne took ages as it stopped everywhere but if it is the journey that is important and not the destination then maybe that is the way to go.

maryrose said:
Looking forward to well earned holiday in September.
Thinking of staying in Nice, as I have always wanted to see the south of France , and this looks like the most likely spot for exploring the coastline, going east and west.
I will be travelling on my ownio , so I can please myself re., schedules etc.
I need to know what parts of the city to steer clear of , ( or maybe not stay in)
I'm thinking of booking a small apartment or studio, I will only be sleeping in it, as I intend to pack in as much exploring and day tripping as I can whack.
I would like to know about interesting places to see, the must see and must do
things, also any hints re., local transport and reccomended restuarants, art galleries are also a favourite haunt.
Im also hoping to squeeze in a trip to Italy, by rail , and would love to hear from anybody who has done this..

Nice itself is expensive.

I prefer Cannes - found Nice itself a bit pretentious.

I recommend renting a car (a convertible if you can!) for driving around to Cannes and Monaco - some wonderful drives, with plenty of nice towns and beaches or views to stop at.

Fodors.com has some useful info e.g. Things to do in Nice.

Back