Heuston Station as far as Ha'penny bridge: Apartments owning/renting/living in

Delboy

Hi,

just wondering has anyone experience of owning/renting/living in any of the apartments from Heuston Station down as far as the Ha'penny bridge.

Any stories/comments appreciated.

Thanks

delboy

I used to live in the Maltings on Island St. Quite dangerous at night and not very nice atmosphere but close to the city. Wouldn't really recommend any of the apartments in this area. Arran Quay in my experience has a particularly bad reputation.

I've lived in Arbour Hill/Stoneybatter, not too far from Heuston/Benburb Street and the quays (Wolfe Tone, Ellis, Arran) - albeit in a townhouse development and not an apartment - for the past 10+ years and find it and the surrounding areas grand overall. As somebody else mentioned on another thread these are effectively city centre areas so it's not like the "leave your doors open middle of the country" by any means and like any city centre area anywhere there are problems and oddballs but from the previous post some people might get the impression that they are no go areas and I certainly don't think that's the case from my own experiences.

budapest said:
Arran Quay in my experience has a particularly bad reputation.

I don't know where you've heard this. According to Neighbourhood Watch, Arran Quay has a very low level of crime. The board of management who run the place are very vigilant.

Was budapest referring to a specific Arran Quay apartment development or the area in general? I've never experienced any problems in the area at any time of the day or night. As before, given that this is a city centre area the normal precautions on personal safety etc. would apply. But no point in getting paranoid oe eaxggerating the potential dangers. Maybe I'm unusual but in almost 40 years living in the D7 area and c. 25 years of regularly walking to and from the city centre to where I lived I have never once experienced any sort of hassle or trouble. I have seen plenty of prostitutes, pimps, junkies, drunks, and general oddballs all over the city but have never been on the receiving end of any hassle from them. And while I'm not quite a 10 stone weakling it's not like I'm necessarily built to deter potential troublemakers! :)

Sorry I meant the Arran Quay area in general. My experience and that of people I know who have lived in the area hasn't been that great but then again, it is the city centre as Clubman says and it's probably no worse than many areas close to the centre.

I've lived in the area (Viking Harbour) for a year and a half and have had no hassle. You don't really get people loitering on that part of the quays, and it's well lit. It might help that the management company has been good at maintaining the security arrangements. I wouldn't fancy the places on side streets like the Maltings though. Overall, I'd say it's pretty good compared to a lot of the city centre.

Back