Laya Help with Laya renewal please.

Atillathemum

Hoping the healthcare guru that is Snowyb may be around to help.

My renewal is February 1st. 2 adults on Control 300 Create, 2 kids on Essential Connect Family, and for the first time 18 year old on Control 150 Connect. Premium is 3025 (paying monthly).

I would like to stay with Laya but would like to get the premium down. I want private hospital cover but don't need a private room.

Any help through the minefield would be very much appreciated.

Hi Atillathemum,

Welcome to AAM. The following plan is worth considering to reduce premium cost.

Adult Option;
1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 895pa all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, also full cardiac cover in 3 hi-tech hospitals,
private excess 300 x 2 per year for all admissions, day case excess 125 per procedure.

[broken link removed]

2 x Children Option;
Note; Essential Health 300 is also a suitable option for the 2 children. The Laya special offer applies to this plan, you pay for 1 child and the
rest go free. Price 234pa.

18 Year Old Option;
VHI is best value for the 18 to 25 year old age bracket. The following options are worth considering;

1. One Plan 250; price 312pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 250 x 2 max per year for all admissions,
day case excess 150 per procedure.

2. One Plan 150; price 323pa; all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 150 x 2 max per year for all admissions,
day case excess 150 per procedure.

[broken link removed]

As your renewal date is February 2019, there is no guarantee that the above prices will stay the same.
Any price changes for that date will be posted on the Health Insurance Authority website under heading 'Latest News'.

Regards, Snowyb

Hi Snowyb

I have four young adults aged 18 to 25. The 25 year old was 25 back in June. Would the 25 year old be covered under the VHI One Plan 150 at renewal 1/1/19 ? How would you thimk the latter plan compares to Laya Simplicity under which I am proposing to renew for an 18 yo and a 22 yo. The remaining two aged 23 and 25 I was planning to renew under Flex 500 explore. The One Plan 150 would work out at less than half the cost of Simplicity and money is an important factor.

Thank you so much for replying. Have followed your advice to others for the last 3 years and always been happy with the result. This is the first year that nobody had a similar renewal query.

You really are a great resource on this site.

Daddy Ireland,

The VHI is the best value for young adults aged 18 to 25 years.
They would have access to the VHI Swiftcare Clinics on these plans, as they are now only available to VHI customers. If their location suits.

I would not recommend Laya plans for this age bracket at all.
The following VHI plans are worth considering;

1. One Plan 150; price 323pa(18 yrs); price 550pa(22 yrs); price 640pa(23 yrs); price 825pa(25 yrs);
All public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered; private hospital excess 150 x 2 max per year per person for all admissions to a private hospital (regardless of how many), day case excess 150 per procedure.

2. One Plan 250; price 312pa(18 yrs); price 503pa(22 yrs); price 586pa(23 yrs); price 751pa(25 yrs);
All public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered; private hospital excess 250 x 2 max per year per person for all admissions to a private
hospital(regardless of how many), day case excess 150 per procedure.

3. One Plan 500; price 264pa(18 yrs); price 436pa(22 yrs); price 508pa(23 yrs); price 651pa(25yrs);
All public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered; private hospital excess 500 x 2 max per year per person for all admissions to a private hospital (regardless of how many), day case excess 150 per procedure.

[broken link removed]

While Simplicity is a very good plan, it is too expensive for the 18 - 25 age bracket and is more beneficial to an older group, say 35+.
VHI is much cheaper and ticks all the boxes that an 18 to 25 year old would need.
You can choose different plans if you want, to suit their individual needs accordingly.

Regards, Snowyb

Sorry but can I ask another question. Looking at the Precision 450 total and trying to compare to the Essential Health 300 for the adults, as it has a 1 euro excess ooutpatient cover.

I understand the higher excess and no access to the Beacon. But the HIA link to the hospital list is down. There seems to be a limit to private hospitals covered. I am in Dublin for reference.

Snowy,
I will echo everyone's opinion by reiterating my thanks and appreciation of the wonderful help you have provided to so many people in sorting out the myriad of plans that exist..
Your simply brilliant.
Thanks,
Daddy Ireland

Sorry but can I ask another question. Looking at the Precision 450 total and trying to compare to the Essential Health 300 for the adults, as it has a 1 euro excess ooutpatient cover.

I understand the higher excess and no access to the Beacon. But the HIA link to the hospital list is down. There seems to be a limit to private hospitals covered. I am in Dublin for reference.

The private hospital covered on Precision 450 Total in Dublin is really only 'The Hermitage Clinic' Lucan.
It also covers 'Santry Sports Clinic' which covers a certain type of surgery relating to orthopaedic, sports injuries etc.
Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private are only covered for cardiac surgery.

The 3 hospitals not covered in Dublin are Bons Secours Dublin and St Vincents Private Hospital Elm Park and Beacon hospital.

[broken link removed]

The list of hospitals is showing on the above link. Make sure the link is near the top of the screen when you click on it, as it drops down and
is not visible unless you scroll up.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much. Totally not worth sacrificing the hospital cover for the limited outpatient cover.

Again thank you for the time you give this board. I don't know how you wade through all the detail. I find I "cant see the wood for the trees" when I approach the HIA website.

Until next year.

Regards, Atilla

It is very hard to decide on a plan. This forum is very informative. I would love a bit of guidance too. Our laya healthcare is up for renewal on 1st Feb. Our quote to renew the Flex 500 explore for 2 adults ages 56 and 61 is €838.41 each €144 per month. A slight increase on the current direct debit of €135 per month. Thankfully we have good health but heart disease is in the genes and we don't have medical card. Probably will need cataract surgery in the future.Wondering whether to change to essential health 300 or stay with flex 500 explore

Hi Doodlemoll,

Essential Health 300 is probably the better option as the excess is lower if you're admitted for surgery or a stay and it is capped at 300 x 2 max
per year - regardless of how many admissions you have. There is full cover for cardiac surgery in the 3 hi-tech hospitals(Dublin) - Mater Private,
Blackrock Clinic and Beacon hospital. Cataract is fully covered in any private or hi-tech hospital with a 125 excess if done as a day case.

It all depends if the 500 excess bothers you enough on Flex 500 Explore, to want to make the switch.

Regards, Snowyb

Back