Help think I have a dodgy builder

Mojoapple

Hi I am concerned regarding our latest venture we started having building work done extension and side garage in March this year, we checked out the builder he seemed legit work seemed good and recommended to let him do the work. It started out well then four weeks it seemed to go a bit off piste the builder seemed to be having a mid life crisis but labourers were on site and work continued quite well, by June the majority brick work was constructed. We paid as requested on time and in stages he asked for. Two weeks into June there was a problem with roof needed the architect and a surveyor to re draw and calibrate load bearing steels etc (no idea what that meant but £400 later problem solved lol) builder during this time didn't bother coming out there was internal work needed doing which was quoted for by this stage we had paid 80% of the money he just didn't bother turning up then July first week of there was a flurry and roof was up extension was pretty much done to his quote except the drainage, guttering, porch interior, doors and windows, the roof is shoddy it leaks horrifically nothing is actually finished but he asked for half the final payment for materials on 9th July on 14th July his company listed at company house as proposal to strike off turns out his previous 3 company's did exactly the same dissolved. He has a key to my home I haven't heard a thing from him since last Tuesday when I returned to find all his tools gone and nothing more done to the build, I need to get in tradesman to do the drainage and finish the roof to stop the damp can I? With respect the builder we had I don't want back to do the work and he has had in total 89% of money owed so we are out of pocket and now desperate to get the main mess cleared up.

Please note AAM is an Irish site, so our ability to advise (in terms of UK law or building regs) will be limited.

Your next steps are dictated by what outcome you want. You don't want the original builder back, but do you want to pursue him for compensation/ some of your money back?

If not, then no problem getting someone else in to complete the job. If you do want to go after the original builder, then you will need to proceed more carefully so as not to weaken your chances of success.

Last edited:
My apologies for not reading site properly thinking logically my brother gave me the site and he lives in Kilarney lol I have no wish to pursue said builder for costs adding stress to an already stressful situation I will be biting the proverbial bullet learning from my mistakes and saving up for more tradesman many thanks for your advice

Haha, I only meant that the legal and building regs issues here will be quite different. We're obviously far from thick :D

My apologies for not reading site properly thinking logically my brother gave me the site and he lives in Kilarney lol I have no wish to pursue said builder for costs adding stress to an already stressful situation I will be biting the proverbial bullet learning from my mistakes and saving up for more tradesman many thanks for your advice

You're free to appoint anyone you wish to complete the work so.

You're learned a lot of the lessons the hard way, hopefully you'll get it sorted.

Back