VHI Help required, current VHI policy discontinued

Confused2016

Hi

I'm looking for advice. Our current VHI policy is due to expire in the next two weeks, and the policy we are on, Company Plan Extra Level 3, is no longer available for renewal.
I am looking for a similar VHI policy with good cover for the Mater Private hospital, and other private hospitals if required.
My wife suffers with some preexisting long term conditions, and she would prefer to stick with VHI , as that is who we have always been with.
I am really looking for the best VHI policy that will cover our needs, and I am willing to pay for it, but I do not want to be paying over the odds at the same time.
I would be very grateful if someone could advise me , as it is a cause of considerable distress to my wife.
Many thanks,
Confused

Hi Confused2016,

Welcome to AAM. There are a couple of alternative plans worth considering with VHI as follows;

1. VHI PMI 38 14; Price 1598pa each; same hospital cover as before, same outpatient cover as before.
Note; Bons Secours Tralee, Cork and Galway is NOT covered on this plan, Bons Secours Dublin IS fully covered. If these hospitals matter to you, then Plan PMI VHI 42 15 would be the better option.

2. VHI PMI 42 15; Price 1648pa each; same hospital cover as before, same outpatient cover as before.

Comparison as follows;
[broken link removed]

The above 2 plans have no hospital inpatient excess, which means that a person can have as many private admissions as you like with no
payment on admission. This type of plan is especially suited to people with pre-existing on going conditions, like your wife.
For yourself, if you don't use health insurance that often, there is an alternative option to consider, at a lower price.
This option would include a small excess, 75 euro, which is only payable on each admission or day case in a private or hi-tech hospital.
It does not apply to any public hospital.
Details as follows;

VHI Plan PMI 36 13; price 1247pa; similar hospital cover as before, 75 excess for each admission/day-case in a private/hi-tech hospital.
Outpatient cover gp refund 25 per visit, consultant 60 per visit etc.

[broken link removed]

Regards,
Snowyb

Many thanks Snowyb.

That is very helpful. I think we will opt for VHI PMI 38 14 , as we are based in Dublin and the regional Bons Secours would not apply to us. I am mostly concerned about being able to avail of the private / Hi-Tech hospital treatment in Dublin if required.

It is a weight off both of our minds to have a suitable level of cover organised. From my understanding VHI were offering us a policy that was a downgrade in cover but charging us more for it! The HIA website is also very informative, but there are just too many policy options to wade through without having expert knowledge like yourself.

Thanks for this information,

Confused.

Hi Snowyb,

Just a quick question. On reviewing the links you posted relating to each of the policies, I see that it appears only "certain procedures" are covered in the Hi -Tech private hospitals. Do you know how limited these procedures are?
Also, if you only have 40% cover for the Private Rate, how do you find out how much the rest is? Say for example if my wife was in for a couple of nights for a procedure, we would have to pay for 60% of the 'overnight stay' costs...which could be huge.

Confused2016,

Regarding cover for the hi-tech private hospitals, Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic, cardiac and orthopaedic surgery are definitely fully covered.
In relation to Mater Private in particular, they have a waiver system in place which fully covers a list of 50+ procedures. This means that you
don't pay any shortfall. The way it was explained to me, when I enquired was, that if the particular procedure is not on 'this waiver list' - the standard shortfall per night is 260 for many VHI plans regardless of the % cover ie 45 - 65%.

They are helpful in explaining any queries re insurance cover as to what general types of procedures and surgery are covered on the waiver list.
If you know the specific type of procedure involved, the procedure code, or roughly speaking the general area of surgery, they should be able to
advise you if its on the waiver list and if not what the shortfall would be.

The following link is from the Mater Private website regarding this, under heading 'Waivers/Shortfalls' as follows;
Their Dublin helpline number is; 01 8858856.
https://www.materprivate.ie/dublin/patients-visitors/billing-insurance/

This waiver system in the 2 hi-tech hospitals, Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private came into effect since 2008. Blackrock Clinic has a very
extensive waiver list, there is very little that is not covered on their list. Mater Private list is perhaps less extensive or it just seems that way.
The actual surgery would be fully covered, the shortfall relates to the cost of the bed.

Blackrock Clinic helpline number is; 1800 60 10 60.
The following link is from Blackrock Clinic website regarding waivers etc.
http://www.blackrock-clinic.ie/about-blackrock-clinic/freephone-enquiry-line/

Hope this explains things a little clearer.

Regards, Snowyb

Snowyb,

Once again thank you for your very comprehensive explanation of the policies. You are a wealth of knowledge and I really appreciate you lending your time and expertise to give very clear and conscience answer.

We have decided to renew with PMI 38 14. I know it is not the cheapest cover available, but for peace of mind with my wife's pre existing conditions , combined with your expert advice, we fell its the best option for us.

Regards

Back