Help choosing paint colour for hallway

jillyb

Hi there,

We bought a house 6 months ago and painted it all magnolia just to get us started fresh.

Now we're tackling decorating and have never really painted before.

We were looking at painting above the fireplace and the hall/stairs/landing area to start with.

I liked dulux dapple grey for the hall (we've blue carpet on stairs and wood in the hall) and crown liquer for above the fireplace.

Wasn't sure about grey for the hall/stairs/landing...would it be too cold as the hall doesn't get much light? See pic attached on the best sunny day when we moved in and the door is open. We're keeping magnolia above the dado rail and the dado rail is white.

Thanks [broken link removed]

Attachments

• our hall.jpg
    our hall.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
if you have an iPad, you can download the Dulux app which will allow you to take a pic of your hall and try out different colours....

I'd say we at end of grey as it's been around a few years at this stage and will date...if your on Facebook a great Irish page is make a house a home...houzz is great also but not realistic...

Also painting wall one colour more modern including painting out dado rail..also Google panelling in hallways, easy done with simple picture frames if your on a budget.

I agree that the world is nearing peak grey, and tbh I've never understood the appeal anyway, particularly in a northern European country where the skies are often grey themselves!

Your hallway is beautiful, very classic, and my only colour advice would be to bin the magnolia, which is far too bland and suburban for such a wonderful space. Woodies own-brand Brilliant White is a great white for both north- and south- facing rooms and gives great coverage (I speak from experience on all counts) and is a much better base for adding colour in furnishings and other paint finishes.

Other than that I would recommend setting up a Pinterest account (www.pinterest.com) and searching (both on Pinterest itself and the internet at large) and pinning any pictures of hallways that strike your fancy. You will find some preferences "rising to the surface" as it were, which will make your decision much easier. I'd highly recommend this approach for all your other rooms too. Here are a few to get you started.

Natural Straw by Dulux..... agree with Sandals - stick to the one colour above and below dado rail.

I think the hallway is beautiful just as it is. Why change it at all. If you post up pictures of it from the apps in different colours I'm prepared to change my mind. My own hall is Orange, yes orange, the previous owner did it and it works beautifully, would never have picked it myself but it works.

You also need to put pictures on the walls and I'm not sure if the main light is not too high.

Your hallway is nice but could maybe be warmed up a bit with an 'oatey' colour below the dado rail and something lighter (than oat) above. Also, I would be thinking of changing that blue stair carpet sometime for something paler and hard wearing. The lamp and light fitting also could be changed out? Deffo No Grey!

Edit: my wife would laugh if she read me giving home decor advice!!

I agree. I think it looks really warm. Hanging pictures in the hall would liven it up a bit and having the magnolia as a base colour is great. I did this in my house. You could also go two shades darker under the dado rail but it might be a bit much.

I had a small hallway and went with an apple-white from Dulux I think. The apple-white is handy as it's really a shade of green and changes colour slightly with the exterior light. I.e. in the evening sun it's a 'warmer', more apply shade, and in full sun/light it's almost white.

Back