Heating oil delivery issue

Uptheyard21

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has experienced issues with heating oil delivery in recent times (post digital meters).

Received a delivery recently and the tank was empty a few days later, probably around the time I was expecting to run out. Initially assumed it was a leak, plumber validated tank and boiler, both working fine since. No evidence of leak in surrounding area - even dug up soil under tank to confirm, no impact on plants around the tank.

Theft is difficult for volume taken given no access to it but not impossible all the same. This is probably the answer, however.

Contacted delivery company just to validate the delivery and not very helpful responses, no counter docket or gps / meter readings furnished, not even lightly investigated. Which has made me more suspicious of the delivery. The delivery itself was weird as it arrived unexpectedly (usually get a call and usually only serve certain days in my area). The time of the delivery is off by just over an hour which could be a config issue on the meter.

Has anyone experienced similar? Can the meter/delivery be tricked?

Were you or someone else there when he delivered ? Did it appear to be loaded into the tank ?

Its a long time since I used oil for heating; but did you get any paperwork at all on the day of delivery?

Yeah I was here. Hose was dragged to the tank and back. But did not observe the pumping. Also did not check the tank after pumping.

I got a docket so all looked good. The only doubt is the time value on the docket.

It's been a while for me but I remember the start and end meter reading was on the docket along with the time between them. Is it still and does it look right ? If so it looks like a theft issue somehow.

It is possible for a dishonest delivery driver to add a small quantity to your tank and then pump the rest of your delivery back into the delivery vehicle. He could then drop off his surplus oil by releasing it by gravity into an underground tank somewhere else.
GPS tracking on his vehicle would be a problem, but maybe he can turn it off.

It's unlikely he would steal such a large quantity, as you describe, as his operation would be exposed.

Sounds like you need to speak to owner of oil delivery company. You could in the meantime take photos with date of the lack of oil in the tank which you would probably need a dip stick to prove. Take photos of the surround on the tank to prove it did not leak. Perhaps get advice from Gardai as to the theft angle and tell delivery company that you will be adopting this approach.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Most likely a theft but like a say, the error on docket and company response is just making me feel suspicious. Will report theft to Gardai for largely record keeping purposes and see if they have any advice.

When I get oil they always leave a docket printed by the lorry showing all the details.

Yep I have a docket with a time issue.

I was presuming the delivery company would produce a counter docket and/or some gps reading to validate the delivery but they seem to be shutting down on the topic. Which could be a symptom of bad record keeping or something more sinister. i.e. their lack of help is actually fueling (excuse the pun) my doubt.

You received a delivery and got a docket.
You say the docket has a time difference of about an hour.
Easily explained by Summer time Vs Winter time?
Out of curiosity what amount of oil was supplied as per the docket?

I suspect theft. Some unscrupulous types will follow a tanker and note delivery address and empty the tank a few days later.

They have the equipment to pump out a few hundred litres fairly quickly into large plastic cubes in the back of a van.

Happened to me several years ago, lock was installed and camera (real but not connected to anything) put pointing to the tank.

Back