Health Insurance Health insurance with large excess

dishwasher

Thanks to advice I got from SnowyB last year, I am now thinking a bit differently about health insurance. We have a decent savings for a rainy day, and I'm prepared to use this to cover a sizeable excess in return for a low annual premium. My criteria for hospital cover is to make sure the adults can access all the private and high tech hospitals in Dublin and that the kids can go to Vhi Swiftcare for their frequent sports injuries (not overly concerned about private hospitals for them). I just want to double check that the cheapest high excess plans that meet our objectives are:

Laya Control 600 Connect for adults at 883 per adult
One Plan 500 for kids at 151 per child (please let me know if there is a special offer on Vhi for children that is less than 200)

I reckon for a family of 2 adults + 3 kids we are saving over a grand a year doing this (compared to previous strategy of getting a good value corporate plan). We are giving up on day to day cover (but probably only got a few hundred back on this).

Quick question, when is your renewal date and what ages are your children?

Snowyb

dishwasher,

Adults Options;

1. Laya Control 600 Connect; price 883pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; inpatient private/hi-tech excess 600 per admission,
day case excess 175 per procedure, limited day to day - high excess 150 per person.

2. Laya Control 600 Total; price 929pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; inpatient private/hi-tech excess 600 per admission,
day case excess 175 per procedure, day to day cover included on this plan, 1 euro excess, refunds are basic - 15 per gp visit, etc. The
reason for mentioning this plan is the 1 euro excess for day to day, as x-rays, radiology also come under this heading which is where the 1 euro
excess comes in handy.
[broken link removed]

Child Options;

1. VHI Start Plan; price 103per child; just 32 public hospitals covered on this plan, including the 3 childrens hospitals in Dublin; Temple St,
Our Lady's Childrens Hospital Crumlin and Tallaght childrens hospital. These 3 hospitals will be of particular interest to you, given the ages of your
children. The regular private hospitals don't deal with children under 16 yrs, only the 3 hi-tech hospitals Beacon, Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic. They deal with children over 3 yrs.
Note on this plan there is cover for the VHI Swiftcare clinic- 1 x 125 euro(not subject to the 250 excess) under the heading gp visits.
Also, under the A & E heading, there is a swiftcare package 75 euro off initial consultation with a co payment of 50 paid by the patient.
A follow-up treatment package also included, not subject to the excess.

2. VHI Start Plan 250; price 119per child; Selected list of public hospitals including the 3 childrens hospitals in Dublin as mentioned above,
This plan also covers a selected list of private hospitals including Beacon hi-tech hospital which has a paediatric department.
Private/hi-tech excess 250 per admission and 150 per day case procedure.
Same VHI Swiftcare cover as Start Plan above. - not subject to excess.

3. VHI One + Plan; price 209per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or day case
procedure. This plan has full cover for Blackrock Clinic, Beacon and Mater Private hi-tech hospitals which all have a list of paediatric surgery and
procedures. Limited day to day cover with a high excess 250 per child, swiftcare package included not subject to excess.

[broken link removed]

There will be a list of price changes and plans releasing this week on the HIA website which will be worth checking out, just in case it offers any
alternatives.

Regards, Snowyb

dishwasher,

Just to update re the list of price changes for December and January, there are no price changes to the above list of plans.
There are no better alternative plans on offer for that time.

Snowyb

Just letting you all know that Vhi start plan 250 is closing down this month so they wouldn’t sell it to me.

Just letting you all know that Vhi start plan 250 is closing down this month so they wouldn’t sell it to me.

dishwasher,

I confirmed this information with the Health Insurance Authority and they stated that VHI Start Plan 250 is ending on 31st December 2018.
So, your renewal date is 30th December 2018, you are perfectly entitled to buy this plan for your children.
You can quote the HIA if necessary regarding dates.

This happened before with another plan recently, sometimes they take on extra staff at this time of year, the busiest time for health insurance
renewal. If you get someone inexperienced, they miss the finer details at times.

All is not lost, lucky for you.

Regards, Snowyb

Back