Laya Health Insurance Renewal Laya Simply Connect

ConfusedHealth

Hi all,

My Health Insurance is up for renewal again and I am looking for advice. I am currently on the Laya Simply Connect plan together with my 21month old son. The premium has shot up this year and I am just looking for advice on a policy with similar benefits that might be a bit cheaper.

Level of cover looking for would be up to semi private room in private Hospital.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ConfusedHealth,

Renewal date makes a difference re price increases. There is a list of price increases coming into effect from 1 July 2016, but if you renew a day or
two before you can renew at the current prices, if required. Laya are flexible in this way - allowing customers to renew a day early to avoid the
price increases.

An alternative plan with Glohealth, worth considering that might suit your circumstances, including public and private hospitals as follows;

Bloom Plus Plan; price 900pa; public hospitals and selected list of private hospitals, private excess 300 x 2 admissions, day case excess 75 per visit,
some hi-tech Beacon hospital cover.
The main plus with this plan is that children under 3 yrs are free of charge.
[broken link removed]

There are a few alternatives with Laya worth considering, they will increase in price from 1 July 2016, so a renewal a day or two before is required.
Adult Alternatives;
1. Advantage 250 Explore; price 741pa(809) public and selected private, 250 private excess, check private hospital list to make sure it suits.
2. Advantage 175 Explore; price 892pa(991) public and selected private, 175 private excess, check private hospital list to make sure it suits.
3. Flex 375 Explore; price 750pa(822) public, private and hi-tech hospital cover(as before) but with 375 private/hi-tech excess.
4. Flex 175 Explore; price 988pa(1095) public,private and hi-tech hospital cover(as before) 175 private/hi-tech excess.
5. Precision 150 Connect; price 827(858) public and selected private hospital cover, 150 private excess.
6. Precision 150 Total; price 934pa(968) public and selected private hospital cover, 150 private excess. Some day to day cover, 1 excess.
7. Precision 300 Connect; price 757pa(780) public and selected private hospital cover, 300 private excess.

[broken link removed]

Child Options;
1. Assure Protect; price 110pa(148pa) public hospital cover (semi-private room).
2. Laya 500 Explore; price 178pa(194) public hospital cover (including private room).
[broken link removed]

Above prices in brackets are the prices that apply from 1 July 2016.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Snowyb,

What was the reason for increases introduced on July 1?

I'm with Aviva and due for renewal now, so I've missed that boat. :( But, I'd still like to know why the increases.

For what it's worth, I'm 56, in good health and self-employed (sole trader). If you have any advice re renewal, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

D.

Dinarius,

Regarding the Laya increases from July 1, not all plans were increased in price.
Its the usual, rise in claims + the increased costs of public beds in public hospitals which are now fully charged to the health insurers.

What is your renewal date and what plan are you on with Aviva at the moment?

Snowyb

Snowyb,

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in acknowledging it.

My renewal date with Aviva was July 17th. As it happens, the renewal was automatic. (So, am I stuck with it?) The plan is called Future Focus 500 (where in heaven's name do they find these policy names?! :rolleyes:) and the cost is €970.90.

Any comments?

Many thanks.

D.

Dinarius,

You are allowed a further 14 days after renewal date to change your mind if you want. So you are not stuck with Future Focus 500.

There is an identical plan with Laya with extra hi-tech cover including Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private, at a cheaper price.

Flex 500 Explore; price 721pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospital cover. Excess 500 for private/hi-tech admissions.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

I've just joined Laya.

All is well. The only catch is that my pre-existing condition (the only one I have) will not be covered in any hospitals which Laya offer that are not offered on my existing Aviva policy, for a period of two years. After this time, I will be covered in all Laya hospitals.

D.

Back