Laya Health Insurance renewal for Mum & Young Adult 3,200 ???

Edenbridge14

Hi,

We are a family of 3
Myself who is 45, my son who is 18 and in school fulltime and a daughter aged 15.

I'm only covered for me and my son as the prices are just getting out of hand and figure if kids are really sick they'll be seen quick.
Separated and ex husband doesn't pay any share so every Euro counts.

Our Laya renewal quote has arrived (€3,200)
Our existing cover;

Me Simply Health Connect (1451.00)
Son Flex 125 (1653.00)

What changes should I make that will reduce the total bill, retain the everyday expense refunds, and have similar hospital cover but without the huge shortfall on the Beacon?
I was admitted earlier this year for 3 nights and between excess and shortfall i had to pay over 1000.00

I've been looking at the VHI Company Plan 1.3 and it seems like for like but includes more cover for The Beacon but again its still a minefield.
The Beacon is the closest hospital to me and its the reason for choosing - not fussed if its a private or semi private room.

I suffer with Anemia and have iron infusions annually and hematologist is based in Beacon too

Any ideas??

Last edited:
Hi Edenbridge14,

The following 2 plans are worth considering as alternatives to your current plan which is really bad value for money, especially for the Beacon
which is of particular importance to you. While Company Plan Plus Level 1.3 is a good plan and would be suitable for your son, there is a better
VHI plan more suitable for yourself. Details as follows;

1. VHI PMI 7 10; price 1185pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess just 150 x 1 for all
private/hi-tech admissions per year, day case excess 50 per procedure. ( these excess amounts apply to Beacon). Good day to day cover
included. The advantage of this plan, compared to other VHI plans is the cap of 150 per year for the excess which applies on admission to a
private or hi-tech hospital. This 150 amount is just a once off payment if you are admitted for a hospital stay, it is NOT a nightly payment like that
of your current plan.
NOTE; The lower excess amounts on this new plan is classed as an upgrade in cover. Strictly speaking this means that there is a 2 year waiting
time applied to any pre-existing condition. In practise, this would mean that your current plan cover would apply to your Anemia condition for the
next 2 years. It is still a cheaper plan with much better cover which will pay off in the long run.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech hospital excess 150 x 2 max for all
private/hi-tech hospital admissions per year. Day case excess 50 euro per procedure. These excess amounts apply to Beacon hospital. Good day to day cover on this plan. The 2 year upgrade waiting rule would also apply to your pre-existing condition on this plan.

[broken link removed]

18 year old
1. VHI Company Plan Plus Level 1.3; price 382pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; excess 150 per admission to a private or
hi-tech hospital, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included on this plan. VHI plans also offer access to the VHI Swiftcare
Clinics which are now only open to VHI members as an alternative to the public hospital A + E if required.

[broken link removed]

Note; Regarding your 15 year old, VHI usually have half price child offers in December or January where prices are around 150 approx per child.
It would be worth keeping an eye out for these offers if required.

VHI are also the only company to allow children to be insured on their own, without an adult. An adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured. So, if you wish to stay with Laya, your son can be insured with VHI if you want.

Regards, Snowyb

Back