Health Insurance Health insurance for children under 6?

Mossmm

looking at renewing our family health insurance, 2 adults c. 40, three children aged 2, 4, 5.

Want to move off basic level of cover and no real need for day to day cover so looking at pmi 3713 based on some of snowyb’s response to threads

My question is do children as you as mine really need health insurance when they live and stray in Ireland and are based in Dublin near dedicated children’s hospitals?

Thanks

Depends on whether you want faster treatment for non urgent things. Urgent things will be seen straightaway but if you have say adenoid problem (recent experience of it) for example you could wait a hell of a long time on public system but will be seen much quicker privately.

Fair point. Just noticed that 2nd and 3rd child free with laya so looking at their Essential Health 300 plan which looks like a runner for us

My kids are older than yours. I live in Dublin and have had many emergency visits to Temple Street. It is a great service for accidents and medical emergencies.
But Health Insurance is valuable for seeing consultants privately, as Monbretia says. Day to day cover is useful if your child needs Speech Therapy, Physiotherapy, OT etc. There’s a bit of a post code lottery regarding access to these through the public services. We also get money back for GP, optician and dental services.

Hi Mossmm,

Regarding the children having health insurance, unless they have a full medical card, if they were admitted to a public childrens hospital for a
stay or day case, there is a charge of 80 euro per day. This charge is capped at a max of 10 days per year, so 800 is the max per child.

So, health insurance is well worth having to avoid these charges, especially at the Laya special price offer @234 for all children under 18 in the family.

As far as I know, Laya don't allow children to be insured on their own, one adult needs to be insured also on the policy.
You can check it out to see if that rule still applies.
VHI was the only provider to allow children to be insured without an adult.

The following 2 Laya plans are worth considering;
1. Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 x 2 max per year for all private hospital
admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants, etc.

2. Essential Health 300; price 895pa; all public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital covered, private/hi-tech excess 300 x 2 max per year for all
private hospital admissions(regardless of how many), day case excess 125 per procedure. Very limited day to day cover on this plan.

[broken link removed]

For children over 3 years, the 3 hi-tech Dublin hospitals - Mater Private, Blackrock Clinic and Beacon hospital cover a range of children's
surgeries and procedures. As part of the Laya special offer for children, the Flex 125 Explore includes full cover for these 3 hospitals.
Details as follows;
Flex 125 Explore; price 343pa(covers all 3 children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; Private excess 125 per admission and
day case excess 50 per procedure.

[broken link removed]

Snowyb

Back