Laya Health insurance for 2 year old laya

Familyof3

we are a family of 3 (2 adults and a 2 year old) and our policy is up for renewal on 1st February. We are currently with laya essential family connect. €175 per month. I have been in contact with cornmarket who suggested "better active plan" with glo. It will cost €166 per month as I will get 5% discount. But laya tell me this is a downgrade in cover :(

I have been on the HIA website and looked up laya simply connect which looks great. For all three of us it would be €200 per month. My OH seems to think we should just stay on family connect. We never go to the doctor etc. but I was thinking maybe of putting 2 year old on "simply connect" as it has great day to day cover and private in public hospital. I find laya isn't great at discussing these options with me. They said I need to know the names of the corporate policies.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a teacher and got quoted €134 for child on teachers select vhi. Can I insure a child on vhi and stay with laya for adults? Or does 1 adult have to go to vhi if child goes to vhi?
I would like to pay in or around the same per month as I am with essential connect family.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
we are a family of 3 (2 adults and a 2 year old) and our policy is up for renewal on 1st February. We are currently with laya essential family connect. €175 per month. I have been in contact with cornmarket who suggested "better active plan" with glo. It will cost €166 per month as I will get 5% discount. But laya tell me this is a downgrade in cover :(

I have been on the HIA website and looked up laya simply connect which looks great. For all three of us it would be €200 per month. My OH seems to think we should just stay on family connect. We never go to the doctor etc. but I was thinking maybe of putting 2 year old on "simply connect" as it has great day to day cover and private in public hospital. I find laya isn't great at discussing these options with me. They said I need to know the names of the corporate policies.

Any help would be appreciated. I am a teacher and got quoted €134 for child on teachers select vhi. Can I insure a child on vhi and stay with laya for adults? Or does 1 adult have to go to vhi if child goes to vhi?
I would like to pay in or around the same per month as I am with essential connect family.

Thanks for reading.
I have spent many hours in the past week trying to get through to Laya to discuss my renewal and ask them about any corporate policies they may have with similar or better cover than my policy which is connect care and today the reply was we really dont have the time to look through policies and you wont get better cover at the same price than you have. I was very disappointed with their lack of interest considering the amount of hours I have wasted trying to contact them. Thanks to Snowy B I have a few policies in mind but was disappointed with Laya's response.

Meath lady thank you so much for your reply. Can I ask which ones are you considering?
I pretty much got the same response from laya!! I remember years ago when I was with vhi they were really good and told me about company plan extra level 2 which we used to be on. It is really expensive now though :(

Snowyb I would love to hear your thoughts :)

Familyof3,

Firstly, the Better Active Plan has extra hospital cover than your current plan, it includes cover for Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic, which would be considered an upgrade in cover.
Your current plan, Laya Essential Connect Family has a capped private excess of 300 per family per year.
Better Active plan has an individual private excess of 75 per person per admission per year. It also has a co-payment of 2000 for a hip or knee replacement operation. This could be regarded as a downgrade in cover. But otherwise there is no difference.
Children under 3 yrs are free on Glohealth Better Active plan.

Laya Simply Connect plan would be a better plan than Glohealth because it has no co-payment for orthopaedic surgery.
Laya Essential Connect Family plan is good value because of the capped excess 300 per family per year.

An alternative cheaper option with Laya is as follows;
1. Flex 250 Explore; price per adult 854pa; public(including private room),private and hi-tech hospitals covered. Private/hi-tech excess 250 per admission per person. Day case excess 100 per visit per person. No excess applies to any public hospital.
[broken link removed]

VHI allow a child to be insured on their own, an adult is named on the policy but only the child is insured.
VHI have half price childrens plans at the moment, covering public(including private room), private and hi-tech hospitals.
One + Plan; price 131 per child.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Snowyb thank you so much for your reply. We are currently paying €165 per month and our renewal with essential connect family is €175.

I just did a few sums if my husband goes with laya simply connect it will cost €1028.97 including a 3% monthly charge and if myself and my son went with glo better active €1010.80 including a 5% reduction from cornmarket.
The monthly repayments would be around €170.

If we all went on glo better active the monthly repayments would be €169. Do you what the story with a and e abroad? Laya said there is no cover for that? And laya said there €250 excess per night in beacon for semi private room?

If we all go with simply connect the repayments are around €192. (This would be ideal but most expensive).

If myself and husband go with laya simply connect and our son goes on vhi one plan complete it would be around €184 per month. Vhi seem to have a lot of 90% and 80% cover? And is there no excess?

I feel my husband could do with day to day as he plays rugby and usualy ends up in a and e with a sprain or concussion etc once a year!!! I don't feel I really need day to cover but having it would be a plus.

I would like my child to be covered private in a public hospital.

Ideally I would love us all to be simply connect but for the extra money I don't know if it's worth it as our son had under 6 gp card.

Do the day to day benefits kick in straight away or do you need waiting period as it's an upgrade?

Thank you so much :)

Last edited:
Familyof3,

To answer some of your questions, day to day benefits kick in straight away with Laya, no waiting applies, even for upgraded day to day cover.

Re VHI 80% and 90% cover, Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic don't charge the 10% or 20% shortfall to the patient.
There is no excess on VHI One Plan Complete for private/hi-tech admissions or day case.

The excess for the Beacon Hospital with Laya is 250 per admission to the Beacon Hospital. It is not per night, just a once off payment on admission for surgery or treatment. This is for Flex 250 Explore plan.
The excess for Simply Connect in the Beacon Hospital is 150 per admission for surgery or treatment. This is not a nightly charge, it is a once off charge if admitted for surgery.

I don't know anything about A + E abroad, does the EHIC European Health Card cover that?

Regards, Snowyb

Snowy I had a feeling laya were telling me lies about glo and €250 excess!!

If my son goes to any if the public children's hospitals is there an excess on laya simply connect or glo better active? Spoke to vhi today apparently the beacon have a children's ward where a lot of routine operations are carried out.

Thank you so much again :)

No excess applies for any public hospital for a child or an adult, no excess for admissions, no excess for day cases in any public hospital.
It doesn't matter what company you're with, no excess applies for any public hospital.

If your son goes to Beacon, with a new illness, Glohealth excess is 75 for Beacon, Laya Simply Connect excess is 150 for Beacon.

If your son goes to Beacon, with a pre-existing condition, strictly speaking the excess for both companies would be 300, which is the excess on your plan at the moment. There would be a 2 year upgrade waiting time ONLY FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS, regarding the Beacon excess.
However, Laya are not strict in applying this rule, so the Beacon excess would be 150 for an admission for a pre-existing condition.

As well as Beacon, both the Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private also have childrens wards and have a list of childrens surgery for children aged 3+.
As your current plan has no cover at the moment for these two hospitals, there would be a 2 year upgrade waiting time for both yourselves and your son with Glohealth or Laya on the above plans AGAIN ONLY FOR PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS. Any new illnesses would be covered in these hospitals straight away.

VHI are strict in applying upgrade waiting times. They have a 2 yr waiting time for pre-existing conditions and also a 26 week waiting time for new illnesses if you upgrade cover - for example upgrading to include Mater Private and Blackrock Clinic cover or the same waiting times apply for lower excess amounts for private or hi-tech admissions.

Hope this explains everything.
Snowyb

Snowyb you are deadly thanks a million :) :)

I think we will all go with laya simply connect. I don't think we have any pre existing conditions. Myself and husband had accidents causing injury in 2001 (himself) and 2009 (me). We have been grand since and have had no further treatment. We have always had health insurance. Our child has only get been to gp once with flu. :)

So basically laya will charge us the €150 excess as they are not strict on upgrade rule. Also they will cover us in BLackrock clinic etc straight away because they aren't strict. If we had a pre existing condition they would make us wait 2 years.

Snowyb you are deadly thanks a million :) :)

I think we will all go with laya simply connect. I don't think we have any pre existing conditions. Myself and husband had accidents causing injury in 2001 (himself) and 2009 (me). We have been grand since and have had no further treatment. We have always had health insurance. Our child has only get been to gp once with flu. :)

So basically laya will charge us the €150 excess as they are not strict on upgrade rule. Also they will cover us in BLackrock clinic etc straight away because they aren't strict. If we had a pre existing condition they would make us wait 2 years.

hi Family of 3> Sorry for not getting back sooner. I think Snowy B has covered your question. apologies first as I said I had Connect Care and in fact it is Connect Choice. What I am looking at is all with Laya and is Simply Connect, Simply Connect Plus and Simplicity Plan all recommended by Snowy B. Just haven't got around to studying them in detail yet.

Thanks to everyone. I renewed the adults with laya simply connect and the 2 year old to simply connect plus. The child was only an extra €2.70 per month but can claim back 500 per year day to day and excess is €100 twice a year whereas adults is €150 twice a year! It will be €195 per month. Also laya said cover is automatic and no waiting periods.

Snowyb you are brill. :)

Back