Health Insurance Health insurance advice

Chef

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on picking a health insurance plan. Any help would be appreciated.

I have never had private health insurance.

I am 35 living in Cork with no dependents. I have a pre-existing chronic illness that requires on-going visits to my GP and other expenses at the moment.

I was considering something like Laya Flex 175 Explore.

I don't really see the point in paying for one of the very cheap plans that offer very little.

Obviously given that I have a pre-existing condition that requires on-going visits to my GP etc you could say that a better plan than Flex 175 may be appropriate. However the way I am thinking is that given the 5 year waiting period for pre-existing conditions there is no point in me paying for a more expensive plan a while.

Is it reasonable to go on say the Flex 175 plan now and then change up to a more comprehensive plan in a few years if my current condition is still on-going. There would then be only a 2-year waiting list for the existing illness.

And in the meantime I would have a pretty decent plan for any new illness/injury that may happen in the future.

It seems logical to me but maybe I am missing something?

Thanks in advance

Hi Chef,

Your thinking is logical and correct. Laya Flex 175 Explore plan is a good choice, offering 3 levels of hospital cover.
What you may not be aware of is that outpatient cover is immediate - no waiting times apply.
If you would have a minimum of 3 gp visits a year, it may be worth considering the following plan which refunds 30 euro per gp visit,
plus other expenses.

Laya Flex 250 Choice - price 1010pa
[broken link removed]

The only other difference is the excess amount which is 250 compared to 175 for inpatient private hospital, 250 compared to 75 for
day case in a private hospital. The excess amounts are important to consider carefully, but Laya Flex 175 Explore is a good choice
regardless.

Snowyb

Hi Snowyb

Thanks for the helpful response

Are you saying that regardless of what plan I take, there is no waiting time for GP and outpatient claims even for a pre-existing condition?

Yes, outpatient claims are treated differently, no waiting time applies for new customers or existing customers switching with Laya -
even for pre-existing conditions.

There's a link here to the Health Insurance Authority. If you scroll down to the second blue box heading entitled
'Waiting periods applied to new customers for outpatient benefits'

You will see under Laya section 'Immediate cover' applies regardless of age. No waiting applies.

http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/new-customer-waiting-periods

Snowyb

Yes, outpatient claims are treated differently, no waiting time applies for new customers or existing customers switching with Laya -
even for pre-existing conditions.

There's a link here to the Health Insurance Authority. If you scroll down to the second blue box heading entitled
'Waiting periods applied to new customers for outpatient benefits'

You will see under Laya section 'Immediate cover' applies regardless of age. No waiting applies.

http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/waiting-periods/new-customer-waiting-periods

Snowyb

Thanks for that. I will check it out

Hi Snowyb

Thanks for the helpful response

Are you saying that regardless of what plan I take, there is no waiting time for GP and outpatient claims even for a pre-existing condition?
Just to clarify Laya Flex 175 Explore has good hospital cover but would have poor outpatient(gp etc) cover.

Laya Flex 250 Choice has both good hospital cover and the extra good outpatient cover.

Regards Snowyb

Just to clarify Laya Flex 175 Explore has good hospital cover but would have poor outpatient(gp etc) cover.

Laya Flex 250 Choice has both good hospital cover and the extra good outpatient cover.

Regards Snowyb
Thanks for that.

You have been most helpful.

Back