Have GP card. I think I need to change GP.

SoylentGreen

I got a GP card last year and nominated the practice I have been attending since the 1970's.

I now realise that the doctor that I have been attending for many years should have been more on top of things than he has been.

For example. I had shingles a few years back but didn't diagnose them. It was my wife who suggested I had shingles and I asked him. Then he woke up.

He has messed up my blood tests twice now in recent years.

He prescribed an ointment for dermatitis in my ear and when I went to get the prescription renewed he said that you can't put that stuff in your ear.

Lots of small things.

Two weeks ago both myself and my wife had our bloods taken. Last Monday her doctor rang her at 8.30 am. with her results. Five days later and nothing from my doctor yet.

Is it easy to change doctors when you have a GP card? Can I have my medical records for the past 50 years transferred to my new doctor?

Not easy where I live. Shortage of GPs. Waiting lists for several surgeries. Can be hard to get appointments. If you are worried about your blood results ring and ask for a call back from the practice nurse. Although getting through to a secretary can be difficult enough at times.

If you are worried about your blood results ring and ask for a call back from the practice nurse
I am not sure how long blood test results take to get back to doctor. Is it normal to wait for the practice to ring you or is it normal to ring the practice after a period of time?

I am not sure how long blood test results take to get back to doctor. Is it normal to wait for the practice to ring you or is it normal to ring the practice after a period of time?

It can depend on how busy the lab is that the samples go to for testing. It can also depend on the particular sample but it is usually the unusual bloods that take longer for the lab to come back with the result.

Two weeks is plenty of time to have allowed though so it would be in order to give them a call. Sometimes mine are back within a day or two and I have to have mine done regularly.

Two weeks is plenty of time to allow. I’d imagine they might not phone every result as their workload is so high. But if you can get through and ask for a nurse call back they usually oblige. Important to call I think.

The norm for my doctor is if I want the results I ring and/or leave a message and I get a call back that day. Anytime there is something amiss they have rang me promptly.

Is it easy to change doctors when you have a GP card? Can I have my medical records for the past 50 years transferred to my new doctor?

To change GP in Ireland the first step is to research GP clinics in your area. The HSE has an online service to make this easier, you can view the Find A GP Service here. Simply filter by your county and town to access the contact details, location and names of GP options near you.
Then contact the GP’s main reception to check if they are accepting new Medical Card patients (or you can check HSE list of doctors who take part in the medical card scheme.

From the bureaucratic point of view changing a GP is quite straightforward, you just need to download this form and get your new GP to sign it.
Once you have registered with your new GP, they will request your medical records from your last GP (which will save you from any embarrassing conversations) - or you can contact your last GP and ask him o forward your records to your new clinic.

That said, finding a new GP depends very much on where in Ireland you are living. The influx of up to 100,000 Ukranians (with medical cards) has made many practices very busy and not many of them are taking on new MC holders.

Could age be a factor here??
Is it the same doctor that you've been seeing since the 70's or do you have a choice when making an appointment??

A couple of years ago I had a falling out with my doctor of 20 years, went looking for another doctor in my area but the seven practices i contacted were not interested in taking on any new clients and I'm not a medical card holder
By chance my doctor rang me about a missed appointment and I let him know in no uncertain terms of the service and attitude I was getting from him and since then I can't fault him on any level.

Re the blood tests I've never had to wait more then 48 hours before my doctor contacts me with the results, Mrs C once had to ring them after a week and that was because her doctor was away on holidays and the locum missed it

He prescribed an ointment for dermatitis in my ear and when I went to get the prescription renewed he said that you can't put that stuff in your ear.

Check with the Pharmacist if this is true, they generally know more about the drugs their dispensing then the doctors do prescribing and sometimes can offer better and cheaper alternatives.

Can I have my medical records for the past 50 years transferred to my new doctor?
Yes, if you are the holder of a card issued by the HSE under a contract with the GP, you can make an FOI request to the HSE. It's free to make an FOI request and you can't be charged for the copies. Alternatively, you can make a Subject Access Request under the GDPR direct to the GP. Again, no charges and he is obliged to respond within 1 month. Probably, the GP will send them to you rather than a third party.

Yes, if you are the holder of a card issued by the HSE under a contract with the GP, you can make an FOI request to the HSE. It's free to make an FOI request and you can't be charged for the copies. Alternatively, you can make a Subject Access Request under the GDPR direct to the GP. Again, no charges and he is obliged to respond within 1 month. Probably, the GP will send them to you rather than a third party.

There is a system that the G.P.s use where the paperwork can be transferred automatically so is much more efficient than transferring manually. In my daughter's case the system did not work so they did have to print them off but I understand that this is unusual. Obviously that would be preferable to manually copying records for 50 years :(

There is a system that the G.P.s use where the paperwork can be transferred automatically so is much more efficient than transferring manually. In my daughter's case the system did not work so they did have to print them off but I understand that this is unusual. Obviously that would be preferable to manually copying records for 50 years :(
Of course, but it depends on the GP.

Back