HAP claimants excluded from cost-rental scheme

From what I understand they'd be excluded because they couldn't afford it.
They are excluded from cost rental schemes because they can't afford them? And so they have to go to the normal market, supposedly more expensive? That makes a lot of sense to me??!

From what I understand they'd be excluded because they couldn't afford it.
If you are a private property owner, you cannot advertise your property excluding HAP claimants. Nor can you tell anyone who contacts you that they can't afford the rent if they are claiming HAP.

If you are a private property owner, you cannot advertise your property excluding HAP claimants. Nor can you tell anyone who contacts you that they can't afford the rent if they are claiming HAP.
Strange if there's that law for private but not state-assisted (I'm aware there's a law against discrimination, but not clear on how or if it's tied to the price advertised). It should be the same law for all.

It's more likely that they don't want people to be subsidised twice for rent - people can qualify for HAP, or apply for a cost-rental property, but can't get both.

If a cost rental tenant looses their job or has an income reduction they can get hap. They can't be in hap when they originally apply because by being on HAP their housing need is deemed to have been met.

can't be in hap when they originally apply because by being on HAP their housing need is deemed to have been met.
That makes no sense; they could be under notice to quit & in receipt of HAP.

Have you a reference for this or are you just surmising?

If a HAP tennant does not/can not pay their means tested amount to the council. The council stops paying the landlord anything at all!! Its a bad contract for the landlord to be forced to take a financially vulnerable tennant. Absolutely crazy.

Its a bad contract for the landlord to be forced to take a financially vulnerable tennant. Absolutely crazy.
Far from ideal, but most HAP tenants know they are on a good deal and don't want to risk eviction. It's not like the tenants of LA properties who know eviction is highly unlikely.

Back