Greyhound Transaction Fee

Páid

I recently signed up to Greyhound Recycling and took advantage of their €14 per month offer for 6 months.

I added some credit to the account and was surprised to see a €0.85 transaction fee added to my account after I had paid. There was no mention of this before my card was charged. I thought that all fees had to be included in the price.

Basically they are offering a plan at €14 per month but it's really €14.85 a month if you pay monthly.

grey.png

I added some credit to the account
How/where did you do this?
They seem to apply transaction fees in certain cases:
10.9 Customers who pay GHH for the Service by utilisation of their Top Up Card in An Post and or Payzone outlets, by credit and or debit card will incur a transaction charge per transaction which will be applied to your waste account.

You're not allowed to charge your customers extra for using a credit or debit card. This applies to all card purchases (in shops and online) made throughout the EU.

I don't think they can unless it applies to all forms of payment. Cash is not mentioned in their Terms & Conditions.

I've had the same problem. Without notification, they changed my payment method from Debit Card to Top Up Card (whatever that is). Seemingly this entitled them to levy the same transaction fees that would be incurred in paying for their services through a Post Office. Just change your payment preference back to your Debit Card. I've already been in touch with them and pointed out the illegality of charging for online transactions.
They could be fined for this.

Without notification, back in October 2023, Greyhound changed my payment method from Debit Card to Top Up Card and billed me a transaction fee of 0.85 euro every time I paid by debit card.

According to Greyhound "The 85 cents is a chargeback due to the increase in charges for payment transactions through post/shop or using card manually. This charge has been effective since September and it has been updated in our terms and conditions. To avoid of this charge going forward, we suggest you switch to a direct debit payment method as there no fees. The option of top up card is for every payment that is made manually by using cards or at the shop. There is not special option to just select using debit card."

The strange thing is that as soon as I pointed out that they are in breach of the EU "Electronic and cash payments and rules on surcharges" directive from the link posted above in post #4, they said "You will not be charged for the transaction fee as we have exempted you from this charge."

There are three payment options in the Greyhound account: Top Up Card (transaction fee applies), Recurring Card (transaction fee applies), Direct Debit (no transaction fee applies).

So while they seem to be fully aware that the transaction fees are not legal (as they wave them as soon as you point it out) they still charge them to God only knows how many unsuspected customers since October 2023 onwards for every single card transaction, regardless of the amount.

I wonder to who can we complain to, about this breach of law?

Last edited:
Hi Polit you can complain to CCPC.IE

I emailed Greyhound regarding this transaction charge stating EU "Electronic and cash payments and rules on surcharges

See reply below

Thank you for contacting Greyhound Household.

You currently pay manually via card payments, we have a transaction charge for manual payments via Anpost and Pay zone outlets, and as your account was set to the "pre Pay" method like these channels had a charge applied in error.

We have refunded all fees and we can ensure these won't be applied going forward.

Kind Regards,
Greyhound Customer Care Team

Hi Polit you can complain to CCPC.IE

I emailed Greyhound regarding this transaction charge stating EU "Electronic and cash payments and rules on surcharges

See reply below

Thank you for contacting Greyhound Household.

You currently pay manually via card payments, we have a transaction charge for manual payments via Anpost and Pay zone outlets, and as your account was set to the "pre Pay" method like these channels had a charge applied in error.

We have refunded all fees and we can ensure these won't be applied going forward.

Kind Regards,
Greyhound Customer Care Team
I also contacted them via online chat and they initially said I would have to move to direct debit to avoid the charge. I then told them the charges were illegal (thanks Páid!) and sent them the link. They then said they would refund the charges and not charge me again in the future. They are obviously betting that most people will not notice the new charges.

I recently signed up to Greyhound Recycling and took advantage of their €14 per month offer for 6 months.

I added some credit to the account and was surprised to see a €0.85 transaction fee added to my account after I had paid. There was no mention of this before my card was charged. I thought that all fees had to be included in the price.

Basically they are offering a plan at €14 per month but it's really €14.85 a month if you pay monthly.

grey.png

I don't think they can unless it applies to all forms of payment. Cash is not mentioned in their Terms & Conditions.
Same happened to me re these miscellaneous transaction charges. I top up x various amounts with the flexible plan and noticed this some months back and they agreed to refund me. Tried to get me to set up direct debit payments? Now it’s happening again? Sent a complaint quoting EU regs.

Same happened to me re these miscellaneous transaction charges. I top up x various amounts with the flexible plan and noticed this some months back and they agreed to refund me. Tried to get me to set up direct debit payments? Now it’s happening again? Sent a complaint quoting EU regs.
Got response saying will refund all transaction charges and that it was a technical error.? Having just watched the TV series on the UK post office scandal it certainly is a flag to be mindful of all financial charges and speak out. No doubt others are being wrongly charged even if it’s small amounts

I also contacted them via online chat and they initially said I would have to move to direct debit to avoid the charge. I then told them the charges were illegal (thanks Páid!) and sent them the link. They then said they would refund the charges and not charge me again in the future. They are obviously betting that most people will not notice the new charges.
Edwin:
Contacted them by phone today, they said the .85 charge was because of increased banking charges to them. I asked the rep if he was aware this was illegal under EU laws, no answer..I said I was going to Consumer Affairs about this..30 seconds of music and he comes back and said he had arranged for an”opt out” for me from this charge immediately, which is interesting as I never” opted in”. I requested a refund of 5 months charges and he agreed without hesitation. This refund appeared in my account within 1 minute of this conversation. At no stage did the mention of my signing a Direct Debit ever arise.
It appears Greyhound are well aware that they are in breach here, and hoping their customers don’t challenge them on this illegal extra charge.

Thank you all for sharing info about 0.85 cent charge. I got a refund of that from them after mentioning that this was illegal. Now I have a new charge. Its 0.15 cent per month, which is not much, but still, should this not already be included in the price I pay to them? Have you come across this?

Attachments

• IMG_5457.jpeg
    IMG_5457.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 27
I have it also. It looks like the Government levy is calculated after the collection because it's based on weight.

They removed the no "Admin Fees" part from their website. It is just "No Service Charge." now.

They seem to have added an "Administration Fee", also €0.85

https://greyhound.ie/terms-and-conditions/ said:
1.2 “Administration fee” means a charge payable by the Customer in respect of the delivery by post of information to the Customer arising out of a request by the Customer for delivery of information by post

Yet another thing I need to challenge them on next week.

Greyhound customer service is a disgrace.

For my needs Greyhound’s package is about €20 cheaper than competitors per annum but I refuse to give them my money.

Back