GP's - Charges for Follow up Visits

Status
Not open for further replies.
our local GP is on about €200k, it was in the newspaper a few months ago

Under what circumstances did the newspaper publish your GP's salary details? Or were you mistaken and it was actually some other figure (e.g. HSE payments or something like that)?

That figure would only account for monies received under the medical card scheme. Cash payments are not included in that figure, and I have been reliably informed that these may well equal the published amount. Obviously this is a GP with a well established and very successful practice.

I'm a GP (relatively junior) and I earn 90,000 euro gross per year. It took me 10 years to train and the job is intensely stressfull so I earn every penny. The 200,000 mentioned above is gross income from the GMS - the HSE publishes lists every year of money paid to GPs who have medical lists. A GP earning 200,000 per year is most likely paying another doctor to work as an assisitant out of that 200,000.

Does this GP not take lunch? Or ever have gaps in their appointment schedule? Or take time off from clinics to do other work in the practice? Or do house calls?
It was just a rough calculation. I'm sure that not all visits are 20 minutes long, many may be only 10 minutes. Of course this estimate is gross income. Doesn't anyone work a 40 hour week any more? (apart from me)

Under what circumstances did the newspaper publish your GP's salary details? Or were you mistaken and it was actually some other figure (e.g. HSE payments or something like that)?
Actually I think it was to do with defaulting on Income tax payments. It was a few months ago, and I don't have the article to hand.

I don't have a problem with how much GPs earn, by the way. Just estimating figures.

I'm a GP (relatively junior) and I earn 90,000 euro gross per year. It took me 10 years to train and the job is intensely stressfull so I earn every penny.
Just for curiosity, would you be able to explain the stresses involved?

It was just a rough calculation. I'm sure that not all visits are 20 minutes long, many may be only 10 minutes. Of course this estimate is gross income. Doesn't anyone work a 40 hour week any more? (apart from me)
I'm sure that they do. But my point was that a GP's working week involves a lot more than just seeing patients in practice.

If I mess up people could die!
Ah come on, that's a bit of a cop out. If I mess up driving home from work, people could die. That doesn't make the drive extremely stressful.

I don't know much about GP's, but I'd have thought that most of the work involves coughs and sniffles, and referrals to a consultant for the serious stuff. I'd really love to hear more details on the stresses involved.

This thread isn't helping my stress levels either, it has drifted very far from the OP. Do a search for 'mysteryguize GP song' on youtube and that should help answer your question re GP's stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back